Valentine’s Day: How to Celebrate You, Family, Friends, and the Kindness of Strangers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Being in college, with dating/hookup culture in our faces, it’s easy to get caught up in the notion that we need to have a date or find one by Valentine’s Day. I’ve heard a few of my friends talk about how February isn’t easy to get through when you don’t have a significant other, but I don’t believe it has to be that way! It is most definitely possible to enjoy Valentine’s Day when you’re single. There are plenty of ways to spread love, and I actually think now more than ever we could all really use a little extra. So here are some things you can do in the spirit of love on Valentine’s Day (and any day).

1. Be grateful for the non-romantic relationships in your life.

Write a letter to your mom or send a postcard to your friend. Something that really excites me is getting that email from Auxiliary Services saying that I’ve received a package. I love getting mail. Sending and receiving letters is something that rarely occurs nowadays, so taking the time to send a letter to a loved one back home makes it all the more special. Writing a letter or sending a postcard is a really great way to remind someone you care about them and are thinking about them. Nothing too fancy, you can pen a simple note to your mom about your day and ask how she’s doing.

Spend one-on-one time with your siblings. Amidst the busyness of life, sometimes we don’t prioritize our family. I admit that there have been times where I’ve been so busy that I’ve put family at the back of my mind, reassuring myself that they will always be there later. But it’s important to remember that even though you are in college, independent, and in a new chapter of your life, you can still share your most exciting and trivial moments with your family. If you’re lucky enough to live near your sibling, treat them for ice cream or take a hike together. Enjoy some quality time together, only you and them. Maybe your sister lives far away like mine does, so arrange a Skype date with her, take the time to listen to her thoughts and share yours too.

2. Extend kindness to strangers.

Pay for another person’s cup of coffee. A friend of mine snapchatted me the other day when she was at Starbucks. She had been having a rough day, and the person at the drive-through behind her paid for her drink, and it made the biggest difference for her that day. A small gesture like paying for a stranger’s cup of coffee is a simple but meaningful way to spread kindness. Actions like these also serve to inspire people to spread the same kindness they’ve received.

3. Give yourself the attention you deserve.

Treat yo self! Self-care is one thing—it’s essential to your well-being—but treating yourself is another. When was the last time you took the time to treat yourself? Regardless of what the haters might say, there’s nothing pathetic about setting aside some time alone devoted to enjoying and celebrating the awesome person you are. Make yourself a fun cocktail drink, take a bath with a Lush bath bomb, or even buy yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Do a little extra for yourself on Valentine’s Day because you are worth it!

4. Enjoy some puppy love.

Volunteer at an animal shelter. There have been many times when I’ve come across someone walking their dog on my way to class. Petting their dog, having them lick my face, seeing them wag their tail—it’s such a happy feeling. Dogs never fail to brighten my day, and I think a great way to reciprocate that love is by visiting an animal shelter. I would suggest volunteering at North East Rottweiler Rescue, a dog rescue in Amherst, or New England Equine Rescue, a horse rehabilitation center. There are always lots of opportunities to support local animal shelters by sponsoring an animal or volunteering.

5. Acknowledge the people who service you on a daily basis.

Bake something delicious as a gift. We see a lot of the same faces every day, whether it be Helena at Blanchard, the person driving the PVTA, the people at Campo that keep us safe, or your favorite person at the CDC. I recently noticed that some students left a bunch of green balloons at the Mead housekeeper’s door, and I thought it was such a sweet way to say thank you to her. Perhaps you and a few friends could get together and bake some cupcakes for your favorite Mount Holyoke staff members. Let them know you appreciate them and that you take into account their efforts and dedication to servicing you and others.

Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favorite holidays not only because of the chocolate and candy hearts, but also because I think it reminds people to spread and share love. Having “that special someone” is always a plus, but I think that we have many Valentines all around us—our families, friends, pets. If you are not feeling so great about being single this Valentine’s Day, try channeling your energy on relishing the love that is present in your life and continue to extend kindness to anyone you can.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.