TOP 3: Study Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As finals approach, it’s important that you find the best place to study, but sometimes that can be hard. You have to factor in things like the number of people who will be there, noise levels, and proximity to snacks and caffeine. So we thought we would help the process along by laying out pros and cons for a few popular study spots on campus. Check out these awesome study spaces for when your room isn’t cutting it and you need a change of scenery.

3. The Library

Pros: Studying around people might be helpful for your productivity, you can always grab coffee downstairs from Rao’s, and it’s open 24 hours during reading days and the exam period

Cons: Many students spend several days in the library, foregoing self care and hygiene in order to get work done

Not only is the library one of the most beautiful buildings on campus, but it has plenty of comfy and cozy places for you to settle in and get to work! If you, like me, don’t enjoy being surrounded by other (stressed out) people, or if you need absolute silence while studying/working, try to snag one of the private study rooms on the upper floors before they’re all gone.

2. Pratt Music Library

Pros: It’s quieter than the library or Blanchard and there are fewer people around

Cons: There’s less space to spread out than in the library and it’s in an isolated part of campus

Pratt is another great choice for studying because not as many people study there, so it’s quieter and cozier than the other study spaces on campus. However, because it’s the music building, you may hear people practicing their instruments in the practice rooms around the building. In addition, it’s, unfortunately, not open 24 hours, so you will need to relocate when it closes.

1.  Dorm Spaces: Common Rooms/Computer Rooms

Pros: No movement! You can stay in your pjs and do homework from the comfort of your dorm

Cons: Who knows who will be in there?

If you’re unwilling to make the trek across campus with all of your worldly belongings in your backpack, studying in a common room or computer room is probably the way to go. Not only can you use these spaces at all hours of the day, but you also never have to worry about whether or not your forgot something in your room, because you can always go and grab it very quickly! One downside is that you never know how many people will be in a common space, but, if you’re worried about noise or distraction from others, never fear! Generally, people are respectful of others, especially if you ask them to quiet down,

No matter where you end up studying, make sure that you feel comfortable and that you actually get work done. Now, go out there and ace those finals!

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.