Shimmer and Sophistication at London Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

London Fashion Week followed New York Fashion Week with its own unique style of functionality meets glamour. With vibrant colors and unexpected shapes, London proved again to be one of the most innovative and creative cities for fashion. Let’s have a look at some of the standout collections:

JW Anderson

Complete with shimmering fabrics, and detailed with furs, JW Anderson delivered a collection that felt futuristic and modern, while staying wearable. Non-traditional shapes combined with a variety of contrasting materials and textures, such as denim or sequins, built the unique style that encompasses designer Jonathan Anderson’s collections. Shown on models who sported slicked back hair and little makeup, the clothes were given an autonomous platform to speak.

Anya Hindmarch

Drawing inspiration from Nordic styles, this collection was packed with fur jackets, oversized stoles, fur caps, and cable knit sweaters. Simultaneously paired with these winter essentials were shorts and bare legs. Nevertheless, the collection was extremely bright, with powdery blues, lilac, and greys adding lightness to the heavy furs and wools, and heart and smile motifs playing on the breasts of jackets, hanging from handbags, and atop furry slide shoes.

Mary Kantranzou

As if out of a fairytale, Mary Katrantzou’s dark yet beautiful collection glimmered and gleamed down the runway. Skirt suits infused with color and pattern, jackets embellished with jewels and fur, shining floral prints on skirts and jackets, and finally a series of glittering, ethereal gowns. Perhaps it comes as no surprise that Katrantzou was inspired by Walt Disney’s 1940 animated movie Fantasia.

Christopher Kane

Christopher Kane kept with some of his classic shapes this season. Mid-calf crimped skirts, baggy sweaters, and draping are all things to expect on a Kane runway. Yet, the collection was anything but typical. Shiny, gleaming fabrics illuminated classic shapes and brought futuristic vibes to the collection. Eclectic prints, including bold florals, lit up dresses and skirts. Oh, and Christopher Kane is still into crocs, updating the geode-studded versions of his last collection with fur lined ones.

Whistles

In a clean, wearable collection, Whistles delivered a concise collection of basics, with the occasional jumpsuit and fur coat thrown in. Floral prints and bright accent colors kept the looks fresh and new, while precise tailoring and styling gave the collection a put-together feeling. For a city where excess fabric and non-traditional shapes are familiar territory, these beautiful basics are a refreshing note to end on.

Continuing the New York Fashion Week trends of shiny, shimmering fabrics and bold florals, London held its own with unique shapes and bold designs. Still, London brought an air of sophistication to the collections with fitted styles and tasteful embellishment. While the mood was somewhat somber (perhaps another political response?) the clothes were nonetheless beautiful.

If you missed New York Fashion Week, check out last week’s recap, and make sure to stay tuned for next week’s summary of Milan Fashion Week.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Hallie Lorde

Mt Holyoke

I am a first year at Mount Holyoke College interested in fashion, politics, and environmental issues.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.