This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Sarah Almaden

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Year: 2019

Major: Psychology & Education

Hometown: City of Toledo, Philippines (and San Antonio, TX)

In what ways is your hometown different from Mount Holyoke?

I lived in the city and this is a rural area, so that’s a big difference. But in the Philippines, the houses are very close together and everybody knows each other. Last year I lived in MacGregor and I always talked to my neighbors, so we became friends and still say hi to each other today. Because MacGregor is for first-years, there’s a kind of community within the hall. International students also have that sense of community. I feel like it’s easy for them to socialize amongst themselves and they are also close with other internationals.

What made you want to attend Mount Holyoke?

I wasn’t even going to come here. No men? How am I going to live? I’m boy crazy! At first I was like, “It’s so quiet. There’s nothing going on. I feel like an old lady.” You know that saying, “Everything happens for a reason?” I think that is actually true for me. I like the environment here. I love the buildings; they have so much history and memory. That’s part of why I chose Mount Holyoke. I was also looking into diversity. I would go to College Confidential and College Niche and Her Campus to see what Mount Holyoke had. I talked to this parent on College Confidential and she said “My daughter goes to Mount Holyoke!” It’s funny because her daughter was in one of my classes last year, and I see her all the time. Before I came here we messaged each other talking about the diversity, and she told me her roommate was an international student. I was like, “Wow, that’s crazy, you get to room with an international student.” I thought internationals would room with other internationals just so that they didn’t feel homesick or awkward because it’s a new environment and country. I really like the diversity of Mount Holyoke because to me diversity is very important. My high school in Texas was predominantly Hispanic. My sister and I were the only Asians there. I guess I got tired of that. I was always known as “The Asian” or “The Chinese.” Is that all you know about Asia? China? Asia is huge. Not only that, I am part Chinese, but I’m also Filipino. I really wanted that diversity and to be in an environment that recognizes diversity.

What’s your favorite thing about going to a historically all-women’s college?

I was into women’s rights and feminism before, but after coming here I became more dedicated to it. I’ve just become more aware of my surroundings. You don’t see that much empowerment of women at co-ed universities. I’m sure they have their groups and movements, but at a women’s college you get to voice your opinions more unapologetically and you have a sense of security knowing that being female is not something you should be ashamed of. The environment just gives you a sense that you can do anything you want. Especially when you go to the library and you see all these pictures of alums on the wall. It’s so empowering to know what they accomplished. I want to be on one of those walls someday. All women should be on that wall. Women are underestimated in a patriarchal society that doesn’t really recognize how much we’re doing. There’s so much inequality in job markets and it can be so hard for women to shine, but we’re going to get there.

Let’s talk about your major. Why Psychology and Education?

In the beginning I was doing biochemistry! Fall semester I was like, “I’m going to be a pediatrician!” I love working with kids. I love science. Later on my roommate encouraged me to try Psychology and Education because they saw that I really loved working with kids. I always talked about my summer internship, remembering the kids I worked with, and I had the artwork they gave me hung up on my wall. So my roommate said, “Why don’t you try Psychology and Education? I think you would like it.” I thought, “Yeah, why not?” And then I did and I loved it! I told my professor, Amy Grillo, “I am so glad I got into this field.” I got to go to Gorse and teach 3-year-olds. Teaching 3-year-olds and working with them made me realize that I would rather work with 3-year-olds and toddlers than 5 to 7-year-olds. It’s easier to mold their minds and there’s so much to do with them, whereas 7-year-olds already have their own way of thinking and cognitive learning is already there.

Do you have a clear-cut plan for what you want to do with your major after you graduate?

I’m not doing the teacher licensure. I want to go to grad school and get my master’s so I can teach English in a foreign country somewhere in Asia. Since I’m Asian I feel like I should give back. I’ve always wanted to teach abroad and since I’m also going to minor in Journalism and Public Relations I might want to work for a PR company if I don’t become a teacher.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy watching House Hunters International because I want to live abroad. I also like to watch food videos. I watch food vlogs and I like those videos of “American Kids Try Asian Food.” They’re so cute!

What 3 adjectives would you use to describe yourself?

I’m outgoing, talkative, and generous.

When are you happiest in your life?

When I am able to be myself. At the beginning of the year I would tell myself I want to laugh genuinely and not have to mask who I am. It’s easier now, but before I couldn’t. Having the feeling that I can be who I am without having hide anything makes me so happy. I don’t have that burden anymore. I am my happiest now, yeah. What helped was my friends here and being in clubs and just time!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.