New Semester= New Place to Study!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again – no more running about (or laying in bed), no more care-free fun with friends or Netflix to keep you company. It’s a new semester and time to hit the books. Your average MoHo will agree that there are tons of places to study on campus, but how many of us use them? I personally didn’t venture beyond the main reading room in the library for most of my first semester. But there are many other wonderful places on campus to study, both within the main library and beyond. So next time your favorite spot is taken or you just want a change of pace, keep these less commonly used study spots in mind.

-Inside the library, the North Mezzanine is a favorite of mine – it’s not used as much as the reference room but it’s also not too far away. It’s quiet, there’s lots of outlets, comfy chairs, and plenty of room for a group of study buddies.

-Also inside the library, the tables in the sixth floor of the stacks has lots of room to spread out and a very secluded and quiet feel. Of course the clanking of the pipes in the stacks can be bothersome but I generally listen to music to drown it out. Sometimes the stacks do give me the creeps though, so this is usually a better option with a friend around.

-The little study rooms throughout the stacks are also great options. Not totally sound proof but close to it, good tables and chairs, and some come with white boards. The last time I was in one it was a lot hotter than the rest of the library for some reason.

-Outside the library, Blanchard is a fun option, especially in the morning. If there is no food being served yet, it is a ghost town, and that’s how I like it. It also means I can camp out and get to lunch and Uncommon Grounds before other people.

Kendade—good computer lab, lots of chairs, and here’s a building that knows to put outlets everywhere! I love the architecture and color scheme myself. The bubble room can be the perfect place for a group.

-The LRC in Ciruti – especially if I’m studying for French, but it’s a lovely place to study in general. Great lounge, computer lab, lots of resources for languages.

-The art museum can be a nice change of pace – you can’t take your backpack in with you, and pens aren’t allowed, but if all you need is a book or a laptop, it can be really nice to study surrounded by art.

Dorm common rooms and computer rooms are always good options, and who says you have to study in your own? I live in Prospect, which has a decent computer room but drafty and deserted common room. I enjoy studying with my friends in the 1837 common room, and I think it would be interesting to go to another dorm’s common room sometime.

-And finally, one of my personal favorites, Pratt Library! No one seems to know about this place, and I sing its praises. It’s small, but it’s way closer to my dorm than the main library, it’s adorable, and there’s lots of nice chairs in the main room and in the stacks. So quiet and so peaceful, and full of music! And if the library itself is closed, there’s a lounge just outside of it that has nice chairs.

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.