This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

“NaNoWriMo” stands for “National Novel Writing Month,” and is a month-long event that occurs every November. The goal is to write a 50,000 word (about 200 pages) novel before November 30th. It is free to participate and you can sign up on the official NaNoWriMo site. I know what you’re thinking already: this seems impossible! Never fear, for I have some tips to make writing those 50,000 words so much easier!

Plan Ahead

According to the rules, you’re not supposed to start writing your novel until November 1st, however, you’re allowed to do any pre-writing that you’d like. Having a set outline will definitely make the writing process easier, since you won’t have to worry about writer’s block if you already know what you want to happen. Thankfully, there’s about a week and a half before NaNoWriMo starts, so there’s plenty of time to outline your novel and create some compelling characters!

Get a Buddy

NaNoWriMo is a lot more fun when you have a buddy to help encourage you and keep you on track during the month. And what’s nice about the official site is that you can post in the forums and make new friends who’ll cheer you on. The larger your support system, the better, since it’s very easy to lose motivation if no one’s around to hold you accountable. Even if you can’t find a buddy, the Five College Area NaNoWriMo group has multiple in-person and online writing sessions planned, so you can find local buddies there!

Quantity, Not Quality

There is a well-known Ernest Hemingway quote that says “The only kind of writing is rewriting.” This is especially true for NaNoWriMo, considering there is such a strict time constraint. It is impossible to write a “perfect” novel in one draft, and doubly so when you only have a month. Therefore, it’s better to just focus on getting your ideas down instead of stressing about using the perfect words or editing as you go. Once November is over, you can edit and rewrite your novel to your heart’s content.

Write What You Like

This should be pretty obvious, but write a novel that you would personally enjoy. If you really enjoy murder mysteries, write a murder mystery. If you want to write Kirk/Spock fanfiction, write Kirk/Spock fanfiction. Don’t feel obligated to write something strictly literary or that fits the current trends in fiction unless you absolutely want to. If you don’t love your novel idea, you’re not going to enjoy writing it.

Have Fun!

This is likely the most important piece of advice when it comes to participating in NaNoWriMo. This is supposed to be a fun event, not a significant source of stress. If you start out and decide that this isn’t for you, there’s no shame in putting yourself first. You shouldn’t sacrifice your mental health or your academics for something like this. And even if your novel doesn’t quite turn out the way you wanted, don’t feel bad! Feel proud that you were able to writing something so substantial in such a short period of time. We are our own worst critics, and you can always edit and rewrite it later.

Hopefully these tips will make NaNoWriMo seem far less intimidating! NaNoWriMo can be a great way to get your creative juices flowing and help you produce a piece that may otherwise take you a year or more to produce. If you choose to participate, good luck and happy writing!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.