My British Re-education Series (discoveries of one American girl during her six months abroad)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Lesson 1: Reality Check

I had pictured the locals of England to have the classy charms of Downton Abbey and the thick almost-cockney accent of Russell Brand. I had pictured every morning to be filled with London’s famous fog. I had pictured every afternoon to include a break for afternoon tea. But what I actually saw was quite a different picture.

Three days after the new year, I arrived to London Heathrow Airport to begin my six month long study abroad experience at Royal Holloway, University of London. As exhausted as I was from my international red-eye flight, I was overcome with excitement as soon as I boarded my shuttle to take me to the university. I was ready to see the old-fashioned pubs and pastures of sheep dispersed throughout the countryside, and I was ready to see the bustling miniature world that is London.

After spending a month so far at Royal Holloway, I’ve found that the picture that’s painted of England in America is not the best representation of what England really is. Yes, it is true that the British only have polite bones in their bodies, and they’re very open to help even the most obvious foreigner. It’s also true that the British know how to drink (a lot) and really are sports fanatics.

Having said that though, I have found that England is a lot more than meets the American eye. While the remnants of traditional British lifestyle are present, sometimes quite literally, (historical sites, anyone?) there is a very much modern and laid-back style of living. From what I’ve experienced so far, people do what they want and when they want to, and still manage to respect everyone else. I’ve also found that, even when I’m not even talking, the Brits can usually figure out that I’m a foreigner. I attribute this, for the most part, to the differences in how the Brits present themselves and how I do. Many British women I’ve encountered will wear the full Sephora bag of makeup everyday, and at all hours of the day. They also put extreme effort into their daily outfits, and even when we try to be stylish with our own clothes, me and many other American visiting students still stand out. Even though my attempts to be stylish are typically lacking, the Brits still are friendly towards me (or, at least they are to my face).

Overall, I have found that England is similar in some ways yet very different in others to how it is portrayed in America. America has embraced the recent explosion of British media imports, from TV shows to comedians, to the clothing designers, to the Royal Family. However, I’ve found that England does not boil down to these general components, and actually has much more to offer. And with this I have completed my first lesson. Stay tuned for more! 

Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.
Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.