Maya Johnson ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Maya Johnson

Age: 21

Class Year: 2017

Major: Psychology & Education

Hometown: New York City

Relationship Status: Single

What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Cute, small, and energetic.

What made you choose Mount Holyoke?

I decided to transfer here when I did the second round of applying to colleges. Mount Holyoke seemed like the best fit for me socially, academically, and location-wise. I also had the best interview and tour here; it just kind of felt like my second home.

What do you love about Mount Holyoke?

I love the fact that I meet someone new everyday. Also, I love my professors and that is something that I never had before coming here. I’ve always liked my professors or teachers, but here I feel like they’re more welcoming and open; it’s kind of like having a second family. Professors’ doors are always open, whether it’s to talk about class or just something I’m interested in like an interesting outside article. They’re always available to listen!

What do you do in your spare time? What are your hobbies?

In my spare time, in terms of extracurricular activities, I play ice hockey. I think socializing can be considered one of my hobbies. I also love watching any type of movie, whether it’s a thriller, romcom, indie film, or historical film; I kind of just like learning about different types of films. Hiking, skiing, being active, rock climbing. I wish I had a hobby like knitting, but I don’t have the patience for it! When I get the chance, and don’t have any homework, I also chill out in my room because I’m fortunate enough to have a single. I think also just running around campus is something I do a lot. I’m always running around campus! If you ever see me around I’m probably walking quickly on the way to, say, bother people in the library or figure out where people are studying and bothering them too. I feel like often times spare time isn’t really spare time, it’s always being used for something.

What is an important part of your life?

I think what’s most important is staying grounded, keeping peace with yourself, and taking everything day by day. I think that you’re obviously going to have ups and downs in life, but if you keep level-headed and understand that your emotions are valid but that for the most part ending the day on a positive note is really important. It’s how I stay so happy! It’s so hard! It’s so much easier to just say it out loud then to actually do it, but that’s really helped me. For example, even if I wake up in bad mood I make sure I’m ending the day doing things that make me happy like either talking to my friends, my mom, reading a good book, or just anything that makes the day whole.

(On left)

What is one of your life goals?

One of my life goals would be to have either a career or job, especially in my thirties or forties, where I’m happy and successful. However being successful doesn’t necessarily mean my monetary status; it’s more like what I would be doing to give back to the community, make a difference, or to make sure that I genuinely just like the people I would work with. That’s what I hope for.

If you could time travel to any time in your life, when would it be and why?

I think 5th or 9th grade. Those two years were transitioning times for me,  where in 5th grade I quit ice skating but I wish I had stuck with it. So it would be great being able to go back and stick with something vs quitting. In 9th grade I would like to have chosen classes, not because they were easy, but because I was interested in the material. I regret choosing easy classes in high school, only because I feel like I didn’t give myself a real well-rounded education.

What is you favorite movie?

The Italian Job! It’s my favorite because I love cars! I know what you’re thinking, shouldn’t Fast and Furious be my favourite?  But in The Italian Job they have 3 mini coopers that they revamp and make able to go really fast and carry more weight. It’s also kind of like a heist, spy, revenge for the right reasons movie, which I love! So for all the above! Also, I think that it’s been in my top three consistently ever since I saw it.

If someone made a movie about you would it be a comedy, rom com, action, drama, sci-fi?

It would definitely be a comedy! It would probably be The Day in the Life of Maya, and it would be just like the Kardashians, except probably with less clothes and stuff, and more following me around to K-Mart and Target watching me touch everything.

If you were an animal, what would you be?

I would be a fish because I’ve always liked the water and I think that they’re really angelic and beautiful. Like a koi fish because they represent spirituality, power, and humbleness. Well, that’s what I aspire to be! In terms of what animal I actually am I would be a hamster, chihuahua, or a squirrel because I always feel like I’m running around everywhere and am very energetic.

What is your favorite song?

Seve b Tez Cadey.

What is your biggest fear?

Death. A painful death, because I really hate pain!

If you catch this Campus Cutie rushing around campus, make sure to say hello and ask about her love of hiking or rock climbing!

Deborah Fashole-Luke is a Mount Holyoke College graduate who majored is Psychology with a minor in English. She is pleased to have served as Her Campus Mt. Holyoke's former co-Campus Correspondent and co-President from 2015 to 2018. In her spare time Deborah enjoys reading, baking, playing football (soccer), listening to good music, and watching movies. She also loves spending time with family and friends!