This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

There’s only a month left of school, which means it’s time for those studying abroad this summer or next year to start preparing for the incredible experience ahead! In the fall, I wrote about how to choose where to study abroad, so if you have yet to decide where to go, check that out first. Whether you’re an international student or have never traveled out of your home country before, preparing for your study abroad experience can be as daunting as preparing for your first year of college. Because your friends and family will be separated by distance and time, you want to use the time before you leave to prepare so you won’t be bogged down by trying to adjust and can immerse yourself in the experience from the get-go. Here are six things you’ll want to do and consider between now and leaving!

1. Network and ask questions

You will want to have at least one person you can reach out to if you need advice, someone to meet up with for a meal, or someone to contact in an emergency. Your school will have a list of students who have studied abroad by country and university, so use that to reach out to some students with questions you have. Mount Holyoke students can enroll in the “Study Abroad” module on Moodle to see a list of students studying abroad this semester and in a few months will be able to see students studying abroad in Fall 2018. The module also includes helpful tips and dates to look out for. Additionally, look up student blog posts and vlogs about the university to get an insider perspective on the school and traveling.

2. Learn about the culture and current events

You’ll learn a lot about where you study abroad as you take classes, get to know the people at the university, and explore the area, but it’s helpful to have a foundation of knowledge to get the most out of your time. It will also help you feel less isolated if you are prepared for some of the cultural differences you’ll encounter. Watch documentaries, YouTube videos, TV shows, and movies about or that take place in the area you plan to study abroad. Read books, articles, and blog posts in various genres from a range of perspectives. If you aren’t studying abroad next semester, take a course that includes the region you will be in to learn more about the place. You’ll also want to do the same at your intended university.

3. Budget for living expenses, tuition, travel, and fun

Figure out how much money you’ll need to live abroad. Talk to students who have studied abroad, especially where you plan to study, because there may be hidden costs you haven’t considered. Many university websites have cost of living estimates, and the transportation fees for students are searchable online as well. Go to your bank before traveling to find out the best plan for any debit or credit cards you’ll need and to notify them that you’ll be out of the country.

4. Create a travel plan

Start with day trips and low-cost experiences. What museums do you want to visit, what natural phenomena do you want to see, and what cities can you get to within two hours? Find things you can do by yourself as well as with others and make note of the ideal weather conditions for each place. Once you have enough plans that won’t break the bank, review your school’s calendar to see when you have longer breaks. Come up with a few options for weekend trips and longer trips to other countries. Keep in mind that it’s likely that your plans will change depending on the friends you make while you’re abroad!

5. Plan what to pack

Part of budgeting is knowing what you’ll have to buy ahead of time and once you get to school. There’s a chance clothing is more expensive where you’ll be and that the climate will be different, so get as much as you can beforehand. Keep track of what you most often wear in your wardrobe and what you tend to bring by habit but rarely use. Amazon will come in handy for getting more supplies, so make sure you pack only what you can’t replace abroad. The video above is super helpful for thinking through the packing process.

6. Develop last-minute skills

Cooking, navigation, and traveling are some of the areas you’ll be most challenged. You may want to consider going on a road trip alone with friends or otherwise testing your travel skills so the idea of navigating a foreign country is less daunting. If your cooking skills are limited to making toast and spaghetti, you probably want to practice cooking meals as much as possible. Keep track of what gets you the best bang for your buck and bookmark your favorite recipes. Even if the food available in the country you’re studying in is different, you will still build confidence and skills you can apply anywhere.

Other things you should keep in mind to do include finding the cheapest nearby city to fly out of, collecting mailing addresses of friends and family to send postcards, making a phone plan (possibly getting a SIM card that works in that country), getting a passport and visa, and watching out for pre-sales of concerts and events you may want to attend while you’re abroad. I hope this list helped, and be sure to read our other article on preparing for study abroad here!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Casey Linenberg

Mt Holyoke '19

Hi! I'm co-Campus Correspondent for Mount Holyoke's chapter of Her Campus. In addition to HC, I study English and am a member of our campus newspaper.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.