How to Get Free and Cheap Stuff as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Mount Holyoke is an incredibly expensive college. Whether you’re paying completely out of pocket, or you have financial aid packages, a college education is bound to put some kind of financial strain on you. And even after you have paid for room and board, you’re still expected to spend money on other necessities. At this point, money might be too tight to afford little luxuries or any extras.

But, did you know that you can get free perks as a college student? Many companies offer their products or services for free or at a reduced price for students. It may not take too much of the financial strain off of you, but at least you’ll have a little extra money to spend on other expenses!

1. Microsoft Office

Price: Free

Some professors are notoriously picky about whether you submit online documents as a Word documents. And sure, you could always just type your papers at the library if you don’t currently have Microsoft Office. But who wants to go through all that hassle, especially if you’ve waited until last minute to start a paper? Instead of going through all the trouble, just download Microsoft Office for free! All you have to do is provide your MHC email and make an account, and you can use Office up until graduation. And, upon graduation, you can choose to either keep it for $79 for another four years, or terminate your account. Now you can type your essays from the comfort of your own laptop! And, if you have any issues with setting up your account, just talk to the lovely people at LITS!

2. Spotify Premium

Price: $4.99 per month

If you love music, but hate listening to ads or paying for each song, Spotify Premium is for you! Originally, Spotify Premium is $9.99 a month, which really adds up over time. As a student, you can get it for about half of that price! All you need to do is verify that you are a college student and create an account! And as soon as you create your account, you get to enjoy perks such as: ad-free listening, unlimited skips, offline-listening, and better sound quality!

3. Amazon Prime

Price: Free (for six months)

Amazon Prime is arguable the most useful service on this list. Amazon Prime gives you free two day shipping and access to tons of TV shows and movies! So, no longer will you have to stress about your textbooks arriving on time, or having to pay outrageous prices for fast shipping. If you sign up with your MHC email, you get your first six months completely free. And after the six months, you can upgrade to regular Prime for 50% off!

4. Fast Food

Price: 10% Off

Sure, fast food isn’t the healthiest option for food, especially when we have plenty of delicious dining options on campus. But what about the times you’re off campus and looking for something quick and cheap to eat? Subway, Burger King, and McDonald’s all offer 10% off of your purchase if you show your student ID! Also, Chipotle offers a free drink with a meal if you show a valid student ID! So, enjoy!

5. Her Campus Survival Kits Giveaways

Price: Free

Twice a semester, Her Campus holds giveaways and hands out free goodies to Mount Holyoke students! We post giveaway details on the Her Campus Mt. Holyoke Facebook page. They are completely free to enter! We give away items such as designer purses, water bottles, health and beauty supplies, and other miscellaneous goodies! For our most recent giveaway, which ran from September 27 to September 29, we gave away Rimmel London mascara, a DivaCup, Juicy Couture perfume, a Wearsafe personal safety button, a Camelbak travel mug, and other assorted goodies! Keep an eye on the Her Campus Mt. Holyoke facebook page for future giveaways so you can score some free goodies next time!

If you take advantage of these perks, just imagine how much money you’ll be able to save!

Image Sources: (Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.