clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Chynna Taylor

Year: Class of 2016

Major: Biology

Hometown: Ewing, NJ

Where did you transfer from? Why?

I transferred from Mercer County Community College in New Jersey. I transferred because most community colleges are just two years, so kind of the way people view the next step from here is grad school, that’s the way it’s viewed in community college, is that you are going to transfer out to a four year college. You don’t have to, but, it’s kind of the push.

Why did you choose Mount Holyoke?

I had never heard of the school. I was planning on going somewhere else a lot closer to home, but, one of my professors at Mercer told me that her dad used to teach here. She said to check it out because I might like it. They had some representatives that came to my school, and they sent me an email about what’s about to happen, like prospie weekend. They said that they would bus me there for free and I would stay in a student’s room and they’d feed me, so I thought it’s a free trip and I thought, alright, I’ll just go check things out. I was a little “eh” on the way here, but I didn’t know what to expect. I came here, and just from the first session they had, it really impressed me about the diversity and the supportive and encouraging atmosphere, and it really felt like they wanted me to come, not just “okay you can come to our fancy small liberal arts college” but it just felt like a place I could really grow.

What is your most surprising experience at Mount Holyoke?

I think, the first thing on move in day when I was a first year, was the bathrooms. I have never seen gender neutral bathrooms, so when my brother and dad asked me where the bathroom was, I said, “I guess you could use that one?” I was so surprised! It’s not a bad thing, I was just like, wait some guy’s going to be going to the bathroom next to me what? But then I started to get the connection.

When you first came to Mount Holyoke, did you have an idea of what you wanted to graduate with?

For me, because I had gone already to college, and I graduated with an associates in biology, it made it a lot easier, I knew what I wanted to do. It was helpful!

What was your most interesting course that you took here?

I would definitely say Intro to Cultural Anthropology my first semester because I needed a class to fill a spot and a distribution requirement. My friend tried to explain it to me, she’s like, the study of humans, and I was like, what does that even mean? Scientific? That doesn’t really mean anything. But, that was a really interesting course because it was really helpful to give me a broad experience.

Looking back, do you feel like the core requirements were worth while?

I feel fine with it. The only pet peeve I had was my First-Year Seminar, because halfway through the semester of taking it, they decided that transfers and FPs didn’t have to take a First-Year Seminar, but after that point, it was too late to drop and I wouldn’t withdraw. I did like it, though, but for me, the First-Year Seminar, I feel like it didn’t give me so much of an intro to Mount Holyoke as far as the subject matter was interesting, but the way it was marketed to me was to teach me how to write. I knew how to write, though, because I already went to college. What I would say about the curriculum, as a whole, is that the courses really prepare you a lot. One thing I was surprised about was that there was no public speaking class requirement, or Intro to English class requirement, which seemed strange because you do a lot of writing and public speaking here.  So, I feel that having first year seminars that are more geared toward that would make a lot more sense.

When you graduate from Mount Holyoke, what do you plan on doing afterwards?

I do have a plan! I live my life by plans. My immediate plan is to go back home over the summer and do an internship in my field. I’ve already started applying for those. After that, in August or September, I plan on moving to Virginia. I had an internship in Virginia last summer, and I made a lot of friends and I really like the area, so I thought, why not? Mine as well stretch out. If I end up coming home, fine, but it doesn’t hurt to try. I just want to work sometime after my internship. Through my internship last summer, it made me realise I didn’t want to go to grad school. Grad school in bio is learning very specifically and working on one specific project for years and years and years, and that’s just not what I want to do. I want to work with animals.

What is your favourite thing about Mount Holyoke?

I guess, it’s a concept, is the diversity because that ends up bleeding into everything else. In terms of what kinds of events or opportunities we have, like the language floors. For me, it would definitely be the diversity because that is something that is very important to me, and gives me a better, well rounded experience.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be a wildlife biologist. As a wildlife biologist you can do a broad number of things, but in general, it’s working with wild animals specifically. When I tell people I want to work with animals, they say, “a vet” and I’m like, “no…”, but, not necessarily domestic animals, but working in an aquarium or zoo one day, or working in a national park or even  maybe doing environmental education with animals, is just something I’m interested in doing. I’m keeping it open, because you can’t necessarily get your dream job, I mean, I need to eat, so!

Any words of advice to the incoming seniors and freshman?

To the seniors, what I think is important to say, is don’t just spend all of your time studying because Mount Holyoke can suck you into a bubble. It’s a beautiful place, but for me, what I found challenging my first year was balancing between making sure I was getting my work done and being responsible. But, I went away for a reason and I want a life not just school, you’re here for a reason. Get out and experience the area and get off campus to make friends from the other schools. For the incoming freshman, I don’t know, give women’s colleges a chance. It’s not what you think it is, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, and that’s a good thing then!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

My name is Victoria and I am a singer/songwriter and physics enthusiast from Pleasantville, NY. I am a first year currently studying Music and Physics at Mount Holyoke College. I run for the Cross Country and Track team, and I am a big proponent of Halloween, Harry Potter, music, tea, and art.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.