Campus Cutie: Deanna Bednarz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Deanna Bednarz (left)

Class Year:  2015Major:  HistoryHometown:  Philadelphia, PA

What’s your favorite part about being a CA?My favorite part would have to be seeing the growth in our residents over the span of a school year. Especially the first years! Most come quite nervous (but very excited), and a bit unsure of how their year will unfold. I think a lot of growth occurs within that first year, and by the end of the year, it is great to see how much they have achieved and how ambitious they are for their next 3 years. It is especially rewarding to think that something I may have done as a CA may have impacted them or made their time here at MHC a little more memorable!

What is your favorite activity you have organized for your dorm and why?Our Spa Night! This was a hall event, and so our staff went all out! We had tea (served by the MHC tea club), henna, nail painting, a photo booth, candy, eye-brow threading, coloring, facials, and soothing music. It was such a great event, because everyone was able to find something they enjoyed, they were able to relax, and take a break from whatever worries were on their minds.

Since finals are just around the corner, what would be some advice you have on dealing with stress?I always find that some form of exercise really helps me de-stress! When we have a lot on our plate, it is really easy to dismiss taking some time out to do some physical activity (I do this all the time), but it really does make a difference! You can then return to your work feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!

What kinds of transferable skills do you gain by being a CA on campus?First and foremost is communication! Communication is not only vital amongst your own staff, but is also important to have with the entire ResLife staff. My communication skills have definitely improved over this year, and I hope will continue to do so next year as well. Problem-solving is another skill that you really develop being on the ResLife staff. There are numerous problems that you have to confront as a CA…from roommate issues to promoting/maintaining sanitary environments to more serious issues. You never really know what you are going to face, and so being able to solve unpredictable issues as they arise is an important ResLife skill applicable to many aspects of life.

What is your favorite spot on campus? How about your favorite dorm?Favorite spot on campus: This actually changes from time to time. Right now, since it’s finally starting to warm up, I’d have to say outside on the path around upper lake. It is unbelievably beautiful and peaceful. My favorite dorm would have to be Wilder, which I live in now!

What is your favorite thing about Mount Holyoke College?I love that Mount Holyoke is a safe community that truly encourages us to explore our dreams, aspirations, and potential. I have never before felt so comfortable with myself, and with this newfound peace of mind I have really been able to further develop myself as an intellectual, an inventor, a friend, a leader…the list goes on, and will most likely be added to throughout the remainder of my time here at MHC. Also, the academic rigor of MHC is so inspirational to me. The fact that our professors push us to new levels, and hold us to higher standards, which they believe we can achieve, really encourages me to better myself, and I am so grateful for the push for us to ever-excel! That being said, this school is also home to so many intelligent and inspirational women from all over the world, and the fact that I can call them some of my closest friends means so much to me! Those are some of my favorite things about MHC. I didn’t think I’d be able to limit to just one!

If you could be any fictional character from a book, who would you be and why?This is a tough one. Of all the amazing books I’ve read, I think I’ll have to go back to my elementary school favorite: Ella Enchanted. I always admired Ella because she was brave, smart, humorous, and overcame unthinkable circumstances like a very unfortunate spell. Plus, she lived in a magical world of elves, trolls, giants, etc. Who wouldn’t want to be Ella Enchanted?

Ana Capi

Mt Holyoke

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.