5 Things To Always Have in Your Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If you’re running around from class to club meetings to events etc., chances are that you have a bag full of books, notes and other miscellaneous things, but you may be missing some key items. Here are a list of things that you should always have handy in your bag:

1. Charger & Adapter 

Don’t let an important email go unanswered because you’re at 5% battery. Take your charger with you! If you only have one, get at least one more and let the extra charger stay in your bag permanently. If you are an international student and bring your electronic device from your home country with you, don’t forget to put an adapter in your bag, too.

2. Notepadss & pens

While we can take notes on mobile phones, this is not the best way to take notes. When you are talking with your professors or employers at a career fair, you really don’t want to take notes on your phone. They may think that you are texting or scrolling through Facebook and that you are not interested in what they are saying. Don’t let them think so! Bring a small notebook and pens with you so that you can always pull them out and note whatever you need to at any given time. Besides, taking notes in the old-fashioned way will make you remember what you are writing down better (if you are interested, you can refer to this research by Pam A. Mueller, Princeton University, Psychology Department http://pss.sagepub.com/content/25/6/1159).

3. Mint chewing gum
Even if you brush your teeth after every meal, there’s the chance of your breath becoming less than fresh throughout the day. If you are talking to someone important who you’re trying to leave with a good impression of you that could end up being disastrous. Even talking to a friend with bad breath can be embarrassing. Carry some mint chewing gum with you and it could save you from awkward situations (and situations that stink!).

4. Snack
I know you are leading a busy life, and you sometimes don’t even have time to stop by the nearest dining hall to grab some food. But don’t upset your stomach. Remember to put granola bars, a Kit Kat or other snacks in your bag to keep you going. They could power you up after a long, tiring day.

5. Sanitary pad/Tampon
Ladies, remember to always keep a sanitary pad or tampon in your bag. We don’t always know when our period is coming, do we? And even when we thing we do it sometimes has its own agenda! Keep a pad in your bag, and you won’t run into troublesome moments when your menstruation cycle surprises you.

Each of us may have a bit different list of things to put in our handbag. I hope this list somewhat give you an idea to make up your fabulous purse. What other things would you like to put in your purse?

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Nhu Do

Mt Holyoke

Nhu Do is a Mt Holyoke freshman from Vietnam. She loves Math and Chinese language. She wants to attend graduate school to become a professor and contribute back to Mt Holyoke. Her hobbies are listening to classic music, visiting new places, and reading.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.