free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Summer Is The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Alright Mount Holyoke, finals are almost over and summer is on the horizon. While the end of the school year may mean final papers, leaving friends, and having to pack up your home of the last 8 months, there are quite a few perks that come along with leaving school as well.

1. Warm weather

I don’t know about any of you, but the weather often affects how I feel. That means that a dreary, rainy day can really bring the mood down! While we’ve definitely had some lovely days on campus this semester (shout out to that 70 degree day in February and whoever made sure the sun was shining on Pangy Day!), we’ve had a lot of cloudy days as well. Summer means that the sun is on its way and beautiful days are sure to be more bountiful!

2. Food that’s not from Blanch

Hey, I love Blanch as much as the next MoHo, but when it feels like you’ve eaten the same salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, and maple balsamic dressing 4,000 times in the last week, you’re ready for a break! Summer means eating family recipes, visiting your favorite hometown favorite restaurants, and, if you’re traveling, tasting some local delicacies. Sounds good to me!

3. Shameless Netflix binge-watching

As the semester gets busy, our favorite TV series are no doubt getting a little neglected. While focusing on education is important, I’m dying to know what happens on the next season of Breaking Bad. Going home for the summer means we’ll have at least a little bit of time to shamelessly indulge in hours of our favorite TV series, and we won’t even be procrastinating this time!

4. Family and friends

While the friends we have at Mount Holyoke are the BEST, it’s always great to get to go home and see a few familiar faces. Catching up with family, hometown friends, and most importantly, our pets, is so important, especially if you haven’t had the chance to see them in a while.

5. New opportunities to learn

Mount Holyoke gives us plenty of opportunities to further our education, both in and out of class, but the world is full of learning opportunities as well. Whether it’s an internship, job, travel, or just visiting a local museum, the summer can be a great time to learn in new and unique ways, beyond what is offered on campus.

Hopefully looking forward to these exciting summer opportunities will motivate you to have a strong finish to your semester. Good luck on finals and have a great summer break!

Image Sources: 1,2,3,4,5,6

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Hallie Lorde

Mt Holyoke

I am a first year at Mount Holyoke College interested in fashion, politics, and environmental issues.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.