4 Places to Go if You’re Stuck on Campus for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

At long last, spring is finally here! The weather is getting warmer andthe semester is almost over. Before you know it, it’ll be summer! And, even if you have a pretty busy summer ahead of you filled with summer classes, work, or internships, you’ll have at least some time to devote to something that’s purely fun and enjoyable. Even though the semester is winding down, not all of you will be venturing far from campus. Some of you may be staying on campus or nearby in order to work over the summer or because you’re unable to travel the long distances home. Or, if you’re like me, you might just be a permanent resident of Massachusetts. Regardless of your reason for staying in Massachusetts for the spring/summer, here are some fun activities that you can participate in if you’ll be in the area!

1. Annual Northampton Pride March & Rally

If you’re part of the LGBT+ community or are an ally, you absolutely have to experience Northampton Pride. The annual march and rally will be held on May 7th this year, the Saturday after finals are over. The coolest thing about Northampton Pride is how absolutely massive it is! Even though Northampton is a fairly small city, Northampton Pride usually has around 20,000 attendees each year! With a parade, speakers, music, and other fun stuff, this Pride rally is a great way to kick off your summer!

2. The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art

Awaken your inner child by visiting this adorable museum! If you’re feeling nostalgic on a summer afternoon, you might want to stop by. Either go for a stroll around the museum, take a look at the virtual tour online, or visit during one of their many events. The museum is located in Amherst, and it’s open on weekends and Tuesday through Friday. Even though the museum is geared towards children, anyone of any age can enjoy it!

3. Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame

If you’re a sporty person or you like basketball, the Basketball Hall of Fame is a great place to visit. With tons of exhibits and interactive activities, any basketball-lover will have a blast at this museum. With areas to practice your slam dunk and artifacts from the earliest days of basketball (including a literal basket, hence the name “basket”ball), you’ll certainly get a hands-on lesson about this sport! The only downside to it is the fact that ticket prices can be a little high. For adults, ticket prices are $23. On the bright side, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is open seven days a week. So if you’re up for a visit to Springfield, head on over any day!

4. Six Flags New England

Arguably one of the best amusement parks in the area, Six Flags New England is a great summer destination. There are roller coasters, fried food, fun knick-knacks, and the tallest swing ride in the world! So, if you’re adventurous or a thrill-seeker, definitely go for a visit! Unfortunately, ticket prices are very high, at about $50 per ticket. Also, you can only visit Six Flags if you or someone you know can drive you. However, if you’re determined to visit Six Flags this summer, consider getting a Season Pass so you won’t have to buy a ticket every single time you visit!

No matter what you decide to do this summer, just be sure to schedule in some time for fun and relaxation! While it may be tempting to work the summer away, having some free time every now and then isn’t a bad thing. Happy Summer!

Pictures: (Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.