3 of the Most Relaxing Locations at Mount Holyoke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

There’s no point in denying it: living at college can be stressful. Whether this stress comes in the form of a ten-page essay due in five days, or cramming for a test three hours before you take it, everyone knows some of the symptoms: consistent headaches, acne breakouts, and little to no sleep.

If you’re like me, you’ll do anything you can to escape the stress (even if just for a few minutes). At first I was completely clueless on what to do: running around campus didn’t help, blasting music into my headphones only gave me a bigger headache, and napping only led to me waking up a few hours later to the same stress.

After a few weeks, I decided it was time to stop this helpless cycle. I needed to find another way to relax.

Finally, after exploring different sections of campus every morning for five months, I discovered three places on campus that never fail to calm me down.

1. My Dorm Room

(My 1837 Hall dorm room on Move In Day, September 2, 2016)

I’ll be honest: I was surprised by this one. When I first moved into college I didn’t expect to enjoy my dorm room so much. I assumed it would have the same feeling as a hotel room: nice, comfy, but not-my-bedroom. Plus, I was worried about sharing a room with someone new. What if we didn’t get along? What if I snored in my sleep and was annoying? Every worrisome thought in the book crossed my mind during Orientation. However, as the weeks passed and I grew more familiar with my new life, I started to miss my dorm room when I was away from it. In the middle of class when I was taking notes, I’d think about how much I wanted to be in my room, surrounded by the Christmas lights I’d hung on the wall. And as more time went by, I became extremely fond of my dorm. Even now, whenever I wake up in the morning I feel calm and at ease, despite the long day ahead of me. All in all, my dorm serves as a safe haven, a place I can always go to for comfort no matter when.

2. The Library

(Williston Library)

I’ve never been one to study at the library. In high school, the library was the place where everyone went to socialize and chat — I hardly saw students studying there. That being said, I made it a point  to avoid the library when I first got to Mount Holyoke. I would hear other students talk about how amazing it was, and how much they loved it there, but I was never convinced.However, my opinion changed entirely the week before finals last semester. I distinctly remember taking a walk around Skinner Green one morning, trying to get some fresh air before diving back into my studying. On my walk I passed by the library and took a moment to pause. I’d heard that the library was open twenty-four hours for finals week and that some students camped out there for the week. I thought about how antsy I felt sitting in my dorm every night while studying, trying to ignore my bed which seemed to reach out to me whenever I got tired. Finally, I caved in and went into the library. I was unsure of where to go, since I’d never been before. I headed upstairs to the Reading Room and immediately enjoyed the atmosphere. I knew right from the moment I sat down that the room would be the perfect homework zone. However, the Reading Room is often so crowded that I don’t study there anymore. Instead, I’ve found comfort in a small room on the sixth floor which is fairly quiet and has a nice view of Dwight Hall. I go there almost every day when I just need an hour or two to relax and clear my head. Some people find it easier to study with others around, while others need a place with no sounds. Luckily, the Williston Library has rooms that fit both needs!

3. Upper Lake

(The path around Upper Lake)

I’ve always been the kind of person who gets comfort from being around nature. I love oceans, lakes, ponds, and rivers or any body of water, really. Something about the way water moves and sounds has always calmed me. My family owns a beach house on Cape Cod right near the ocean which we stay in every summer, so in a way I’ve grown up with water.

When I first got to Mount Holyoke last fall I was beyond excited when I realized not only would my dorm be overlooking a lake, but that there was another part of the lake across the street. Around the second week of classes last semester I made my first trek to Upper Lake and was not disappointed by the sight. I fell in love with the trees that dotted the perimeter, the birds that fluttered among the branches, and the path that ran around the lake. Ever since, I’ve made it an effort to walk at least once around Upper Lake every morning. I typically go there when I have some time to kill before a class, but sometimes I walk around it when I want to be alone for a while. My dorm is always cozy to retreat, but walking around the lake helps me feel more alert. If you’re a person who feels more at peace with nature, I highly recommend checking out Upper Lake sometime.

In addition to these three places, there are so many more places on campus where one can seek relaxation. For all I know, the ones I listed above might cause you more stress. But don’t give up — go out there and find out which are your own peaceful spots! They’re already out there, waiting for you to find them.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com..

ABOUT ME Name: Olivia Hobert Pronouns: She/Her/Hers Age: 20 Birthday: March 6 Astrological Sign: Pisces College/Year: Mount Holyoke College 2020 Major: Psychology & Education Hometown: Framingham, MA Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Photography
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.