23rd Annual Mount Holyoke AC Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The Mount Holyoke African and Caribbean Students’ Association (MHACASA) hosted the 23rd annual African Caribbean Day celebration on Saturday, February 27, which included a dinner, show, and dance. The theme of the night was “Roots: Untold Stories of Africa and the Caribbean”.

I attended the performance and was blown away by the talent of the organization’s members. The performance included dances from various countries in Africa and the Caribbean, including Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya and Puerto Rico, to name only a few of many.

My favorite dances were those that blended acting and dancing. The first was a Kenyan dance that included Zimbabweans and Tanzanians. It highlighted the heart of the night’s theme, to go back to one’s cultural roots and more specifically the influences traditional dance has on modern dance. The second adapted the War of the Golden Stool, in which Yaa Asantewaa, the Queen-Mother of Ejisu, whom the performers likened to Rosa Parks and Mother Theresa, led women to a rebel against the British in Ghana. The third (my ultimate favorite) was of a Nigerian folktale about Oluronbi, a young woman who promises her child to the gods in exchange for rain. The costume of the goddess, music, and acting were all excellent.

Other types of dance performed included Umushayayo, a graceful Rwandan dance performed at special occasions based on the movement of cattle. Another dance explored the impact West African dance has had on dance in the Spanish Caribbean: Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. The dance compilation included salsa, bachata, and merengue, which have all been influenced by West African dance.

Throughout the show was the recurring comedy skit “Roots,” which incorporated words and slang from various African and Caribbean countries. Compared to the sultry style one might associate with fashion shows, the energy of the fashion show that concluded the AC Day performance was refreshing and dynamic, even more so with the huge cheers from the audience. Some students carried their country’s flag along with the fashion they featured from their country.

Proceeds from the event went to Hope of Haiti, an organization founded by Mount Holyoke College students in 2013. Their mission includes the statement, “We aim to respect, learn, and teach Haitian history and culture to our fellow students and advocate for Haiti within our diverse communities. … we are working with Ecole Franternite Sociale de Fond-vin (EFSF), a primary school in Pernier, Port Au Prince, Haiti to provide high quality education to motivated students, no matter their ability to pay tuition.” For information, visit their site here.

Be sure to follow MHACASA on Twitter and like them on Facebook for updates on future events!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Casey Linenberg

Mt Holyoke '19

Hi! I'm co-Campus Correspondent for Mount Holyoke's chapter of Her Campus. In addition to HC, I study English and am a member of our campus newspaper.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.