This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If you’re a passionate Harry Potter fan, like yours truly, this article’s for you!

Last semester I wrote an article listing 15 quotes from Hermione Granger that I found highly uplifting, and so for this week I thought I’d write a similar one about a character who always made me smile and feel loved: Professor Albus Dumbledore.

Professor Dumbledore

While reading the Harry Potter books, I always viewed Dumbledore as a grandfather figure. Not just because of his age and wisdom, but also because of how protective he is of the students at Hogwarts. Nearly every piece of advice he gives Harry in the series speaks volumes, and even today I am rendered speechless by his wise words. Below are just some of my absolute favorite Dumbledore  quotes from the books and movies — hopefully you’ll love these ones as much as I do!

1. “For in dreams, we enter a world that’s entirely our own.” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (movie)

2. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (movie)

3. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book & movie)

4. “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness. Nothing more.” – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (book)

5. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” –Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (book)

6. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” –Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (book)

7. “This pain is part of being human . . . the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (book)

8. “While we may come from different places and speak different languages, our hearts beat as one.” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (book & movie)

9. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love.” –Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book & movie)

10. “And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” –Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (book)

11. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (book & movie)

12. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (movie)

13. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak we are divided.” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (book)

14. “We cannot choose our fate, but we can choose others. Be careful in knowing that.” – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (book)

15. “You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?” –Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (book)

16. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with caution.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (book)

17. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (book)

After reading the Harry Potter series multiple times, I can confidently assure you that Albus Dumbledore is one of the wisest and greatest fictional characters to exist. Although he is only a fictional figure, I’ve always thought of Dumbledore as a real person. J.K. Rowling gives his character so much depth and personality, it’s hard at times to remember he’s just an imaginary person!  If you’ve never read the Harry Potter books, I strongly suggest you do! Despite being labeled as children’s books, their content is timeless and ageless.  

The Harry Potter series

GIFs: 1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

ABOUT ME Name: Olivia Hobert Pronouns: She/Her/Hers Age: 20 Birthday: March 6 Astrological Sign: Pisces College/Year: Mount Holyoke College 2020 Major: Psychology & Education Hometown: Framingham, MA Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Photography
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.