This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Whether you are grieving over the election, feeling stressed about school, or going through a difficult time in your life, self-care is important. One might even argue that self-care is important even if you are feeling happy and well. It’s vital that we all take time to disconnect, de-stress, and recharge ourselves so we can be the best version of ourselves. So, here are 14 self-care ideas for when you want to relax and take care of yourself! And, as an added treat, the self-care ideas will be broken up by pictures of cute baby animals. Enjoy!

1. Color! Some say that coloring can be as effective as meditation when it comes to relaxation! Coloring books aren’t usually too expensive, but you can always print out free coloring pages online!

2. Meditate. The practice is said to be very calming and restorative. Even though there is no exact “right” way to meditate, here are some tips on how to meditate.

3. Watch a movie you really enjoy. Familiarity and escapism can be a comfort, especially if you’re going through tough times. Not sure what to watch? Here are the Top 8 Feel Good Movies chosen by MHC students!

4. Not a fan of movies? Then read! Sometimes when life gets hectic, it can seem impossible to find time to read for pleasure. Use your self-care time to catch up on popular literature or nonfiction. Audiobooks are also a great alternative!

5. Get physical. No, this doesn’t mean that you have to workout until you drop. Sometimes a little stroll or even taking a moment to stretch can be enough. Do what is most comfortable for you.

6. Listen to music. Whether you want to listen to some sad songs and have a good cry, or you want to listen to listen to pop and jump around, music is perfect for self-care.

7. Make something! Like working with your hands? Picking up a craft can be a fun way to keep your hands busy if you’re prone to fidgeting. Knitting, sculpting, drawing—the choices are endless! And no, you don’t have to be “good” at it to enjoy it!

8. Watch a cute animal livestream! If you’re a fan of animals, this is for you. Animal Planet Live has 24 hour livestreams of various animals, from puppies, to kittens, to insects! There’s something for every animal lover.

9. Or play with real animals! Unfortunately, this is a bit tricky in residence halls unless you have a comfort animal or know someone who has a comfort animal. Playing with animals is said to have an abundance of calming benefits.

10. Write. Writing can be helpful, especially if you have a lot of emotions you want to process. You can write fiction, poetry, or even letters you never intend to send. Just express yourself and vent to your heart’s content.

11. Use calming apps. If you search the App Store or Google Play and type in “calm” or “calming,” you will find a variety of games and apps that are designed to help calm you. Most of them are free, too!

12. Call a friend. Sometimes talking to other people can be a form of self-care. Phone a friend or invite them over for a casual get-together!

13. Let it all out! Sometimes when you’re feeling overwhelmed and like you’re about to explode, it feels good to just scream, yell, or otherwise release that tension. Just go to a place where you won’t bother anyone first!

14. Have a mini-spa day. When you have a bit of free time, treat yourself. Use store bought or DIY facial masks. Do your nails, if you’d like. Just take some time to pamper yourself!

15. Create a self-care box! Collect items that you find relaxing, such as stress balls, coloring books, or whatever else you may enjoy! Then, you’ll have a one-stop place for all of your self-care goodies!

No matter what you choose to do for self-care, the important part is that you’re taking the time for you. Enjoy!

Images: (Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.