15 Creative Writing Prompts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Writing can be a cathartic experience, a form of self-expression, a career, a hobby, and an art form. However, sometimes when you sit down to write something, you have absolutely no idea what to write. This list of 15 creative writing prompts will help inspire your writing, whether it’s poetry, fiction, or journaling.

1. Think about the last time you felt like it was the end of the world. Imagine what would happen if the world did end.

2. Choose a random object in the room. Write about what happened to that object before it came into your possession. Who owned it? Where did it come from? Who made it? How did it get in your possession?

3. Write a story about your childhood imaginary friend.

4. Think about your favorite book or movie. Rewrite it, but in a different genre.

5. Give up social media or your cellphone for a day. Write about your experience.

6. Rewrite one your dreams in as much detail as you can remember. Write about what happened after your dream ended.

7. Write about a mythological creature experiencing life in the modern day.

8. Empty out your backpack, pockets, or purse and write a story where those items play a critical role.

9. Choose a random book in your room and flip to a random page. Choose a random word on that page, and write a story where that word plays a key role.

10. Choose a mundane activity, like going for a walk or brushing your teeth, and try to make it sound dramatic and exhilarating.

11. Write a parody of one of the essays you wrote for your classes.

12. Find an image on the internet. Write something inspired by that.

13. Create a playlist of your favorite songs. Put them on shuffle and write something inspired by how those songs make you feel.

14. Write a story from the perspective of your pet or favorite animal.

15. Find a piece of writing that you wrote years ago. Rewrite it. Compare the two and see your growth as a writer.

Images: 1, 2, 3

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.