14 Reasons Joan Watson Kicks Ass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

CBS’ Elementary takes on Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series, except with an incredible twist. Not only does the show take place in New York, where Holmes is living and consulting with the NYPD following a stint in rehab, but his trusty companion, Joan Watson, is a woman (and a woman of color, at that), and not the usual John Watson of every other Holmes iteration. This makes for a completely different (and, in my humble opinion, better) dynamic than can be found in any other version of Sherlock Holmes and has kept viewers watching every week without fail. For five seasons, Joan Watson has proved that she is a BAMF (aka a badass motherf*cker) and that she can handle herself in any situation. Here are a few of the reasons why she’s one of the greatest female characters ever.

1. Just look at her. She’s beautiful.

2. No, seriously. Everyone is entranced by her.

3. Especially in glasses.

4. She’s incredibly smart.

(She was valedictorian in medical school! How amazing is that?!)

5. And super relatable.

6. She calls out misogynistic bs.

7. She’s always honest.

8. She has a huge heart.

9. She’s feisty.

10. She’s protective of Sherlock.

11. But she doesn’t hesitate to check his ego.

12. She’s fearless.

13. But still adorable.

14. And she does it all while looking good AF.

There are never enough strong female role models on television, but with Joan Watson and countless others (shout out to Olivia Pope!) taking on a myriad of jobs on the silver screen, we’re making headway, especially considering that John Watson has always been a white male. So if you, like me, are always looking for amazing female role models, check out Elementary on CBS or Hulu.

Images: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.