Would You Like Some Bubbles With That?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When you want caffeine and something warm, it usually isn’t hard to find a place that will cease your craving.  Often, there’s either a Starbucks or Sparty’s right around the corner, willing to serve you a cappuccino or latte.  However, the trick is where to go when you don’t want the typical coffee drink.  What if I told you I have a brilliant solution: Bubble Island. 

No, it’s not named after a piece of land in the ocean found by a Mr. Bubble; instead, this cafe’s name is generated from it’s teas full of, you guessed it, bubbles! 

Walking into the little cafe located on our very own Grand River Avenue the warm colors and comfortable furniture make it a bright atmosphere.  Not only that though, the music is inviting and, if I may say so myself, of good taste.  It’s definitely a place you can go to meet up with friends or even if you just want to chill.

Bubble Island has a variety of different drinks, and though I’m an avid costumer, I’ve yet to try them all.  So, I headed to the cafe the other day to get the scoop on all it has to offer.  Sitting down with Ashely, an employee at Bubble Island, she told me all I needed to know.

The cafe is influenced by Asian style drinks and snacks.  All of the Bubble tea has some sort of Asian heritage, and the treats that are sold there aren’t found at just any cafe.  From chewy fruity gummies to things with a little more crunch, they are popular items in Asian markets as well as the international aisle at your local grocery store.

There are several types of drinks you can choose from.  First, there are three main teas: milk tea, green tea, and Calpico, and each are quite different from the other.  Milk tea is a black tea, mixed with cream and sugar, as well as condensed milk, while green tea is made up of sugar and jasmine green tea.  On the other hand, Calpico is a drink made with Japanese yogurt.  All are made in house at Bubble Island, and both the milk and green tea are offered in light versions (for those of you who’d like something a bit healthier with fewer calories).  If you can’t make up your mind, samples are offered of these three base teas.  So go ahead and try a bit of each in order to find your favorite.

[pagebreak]

Now a quick note: Bubble Tea isn’t just at Bubble Island; there are places all over America that offer it.  The tea initially comes from Taiwan, where it’s used and considered as a dessert.  And even though they may be considered sweets, these drinks are filling and can be substituted for a whole meal!

Anyways, Bubble Island also offers smoothies, Snowbubbles (which are like slushies), and an iced coffee that’s a Vietnamese mixture of cream, sugar, and condensed milk.  Finally, the cafe also has Tara Milk Tea which is the Island’s most popular type.  It’s described as being like chocolate milk and is highly recommended!

Alright, so let’s get to the best part: the bubbles.  There are several different kinds you can choose from and add to almost any drink.  There are the Tapioca Pearls, in black or colored, and the Jellies which are fruit flavored.  The Tapioca Pearls are small marbles, chewy and gummy and perhaps not for everyone, but they definitely add an uniqueness to the drinks.  With the Jellies, you can get either Rainbow Jellies, Lychee Jellies (which are indescribable but delicious), or Mango Stars.  Frankly, each are fabulous and they all taste different. 

If you are still overwhelmed and don’t know what to mix and match, Bubble Island is gracious enough to provide a list of their signature drinks.  This list consists of a dozen or so of Bubble Teas that have been the most popular over the years.  They range from things like Tropical Rush to an Oreo flavored Milk Tea, perhaps odd sounding but oh so good!  So if you are twiddling your thumbs, unable to make a choice, go ahead and scan the list.  I know I’ve found some exceptional ones off of it.  However, I have to add that my favorite is still a Banana smoothie filled with Mango Stars; there’s just something about the two fruits in a creamy, cool drink.

Finally, I don’t want to burst your bubble, but I feel that I must say Bubble Tea seems to be an acquired taste.  Some people, like myself, find utter joy in sipping up fruity pieces and chewy bubbles; it’s like a surprise in every slurp.  However, others can’t get over the oddness of it: they just can’t handle knowing there are chunks in their drinks.  Whichever side you might be on, all I ask is that you please don’t write it off before giving Bubble Island, or even Bubble Tea, a try.  It might become your new favorite.

So, there you have it: the scoop on Bubble Island and what it has to offer.  I hope it helps you get the courage to pop in there next time you’re walking down Grand River.  You never know what you might come to love. 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!