Surviving 8 a.m.’s 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Most of us have been there: Waking up to your alarm ringing at 7:30 a.m., wrapped up in your comforter, wondering if you really have to go to class. Eight a.m.’s can be one of the worst parts of a college experience, but hopefully these tips can make them more bearable.

1. Go to bed earlier

If you know you have to be up as early as 7 a.m., try going to bed by 11 p.m. to get a full 8 hours. Studies show that the ideal sleep range for young adults age 18-25 is between 7-9 hours.

2. Eat breakfast

There’s a reason it’s called the most important meal of the day. You’ll find yourself able to function much easier during an 8 a.m. if you eat a balanced breakfast before class, and you won’t have to worry about those loud stomach growls.

3. Walk to class

Try to avoid taking the bus to an 8 a.m. If you’re able to walk to your class, DO IT. The simple act of walking can be very beneficial to your overall health, and it’ll definitely wake you up and get you more energetic before class.

Following these few simple tips can get you through both your 8 a.m.s and your entire day.

Remember: “Morning is an important time of day, because how you spend your morning can often tell you what kind of day you are going to have.”  -Lemony Snicket

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian