Springtime Tips & Trends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring is in full bloom here at MSU.  Along with sunshine, warmer weather and a breath of fresh air, literally, the new season beckons a beauty overhaul.  Say goodbye to solemnity and hello to happy and free.  We’ve got the trends and tips to keep you springing forward.

Lustrous Hair

TREND ALERT:  Ride the Waves

Let’s face it, hairstyles that require low-maintenance or next-to-none are our favorites…especially as college students.  Thankfully, looking like you just got out bed is big this spring.  Dubbed “The Urban Wave” by Harper’s BAZAAR, this effortlessly chic look has been spotted on the runways of Calvin Klein, Theyskens’ Theory and Giles. 

In the morning, simply wash your hair, comb it through thoroughly and run your fingers through it while blow-drying.  Or, for you night groomers, wash and blow dry your hair as usual, then twist your hair into a loose coil, secure with an elastic and take it down in the morning.  Voila!

Phony Pony

Having a bad hair day?  Or, just have no idea how to “tame the mane?”  No matter the texture of your hair, pulling it into a sleek ponytail adds an instant pop to your look.

For a low ponytail, gather all of your hair at the nape of your neck, pinch your pointer finger and thumb together and wrap an elastic around the hair 2-3 times so that it’s secure, but not tight.  Add a ribbon or an ornamental clip over or in place of the elastic for a more polished look.  For a high ponytail, tilt your chin upwards while gathering your hair at the crown of your head so that you get as much hair into the elastic as possible.  Lastly, tie the elastic enough times so that the ponytail stays high and in place all day.

[pagebreak]
Punchy Nails

TREND ALERT:  Prints and Patterns and Pens, Oh My!

Graphic art and floral prints are everywhere this spring, but eccentric fashion isn’t for everyone.  If you’re looking for a way to bring the runway to your hallway without stretching out of your comfort zone, experimenting with your nails is a good way to do it.

I love the Sephora Nail Patch Art in 04 Chinese Blossom.  The problem? It’s sold out in America and is only available in Europe.  So, if you’re fluent in French, or know Sephora’s website like the back of your hand, then visit www.sephora.fr to purchase these awesome nail stickers.  For the meek at heart, don’t worry; Butter London released nail art that’s just as great.  And, it’s available at Nordstrom or Dermstore.com.

Not into stickers, but still want to get creative.  Check out this tutorial on how to get “rosy” nails by using Migi Nail Art pens.

Creamy Pastels

So, pastels in springtime are nothing new, but that doesn’t make them any less fashionable!  Nail polish in this color family complements every skin tone.  Just remember, the chalkier the shade, the better (stay away from metallics).  My personal favorites are by Sally Hansen’s Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear in shades like Mint Sorbet, Mellow Yellow and Lacey Lilac.

TREND ALERT:  A Case of the Blues

Who said the “blues” had to be a negative thing?  From teal to turquoise, Robin’s egg to cerulean, embrace the many hues of the blues for a cool pop of color.  Turquoise and Caicos by Essie is a good place to start.

[pagebreak]
Vibrant Makeup

TREND ALERT:  Orange You Glad?

Tangerine, perhaps the boldest color, is everywherein beauty this spring, but how can you master such a daring hue?  Sephora couldn’t make the answer to that question any simpler.  Watch their How-To video on mastering their Tangerine Tango products.

TREND ALERT:  The Flaming Lips

It’s timeless, it’s fabulous, it’s red lipstick.  No two reds are alike.  It’s important to find the red that works best for you and your mood. What does that mean?  Well, a shade that looks awesome on deep skin tones, might not have the same effect on women with fairer skin tones.  Also, are you going for a classic, sultry look or a fun, flirty one?  All of these things need to be taken into consideration, but be patient.  Finding your perfect shade to go with the perfect look is all about trial and error.  So, have fun with it!

The Cat’s Meow

Add a pop to your look by creating a bold cat eye.  Stick with the traditional thick, black line or add soft color by using shades in the gold family.  Bring some bronze-y eye shadow into the mix or layer two different shades on top of each other for an ombré look.  However you want to play it, just remember to keep the rest of your face neutral.  Let your eyes do the talking.

Feeling Flushed

Whether you’re trying to flaunt your cheekbones, feign a tan or create contour, a peachy blush is the way to go.  Make a closed-mouth smile to accentuate the apples of your cheeks and brush your blush upwards in a diagonal swoop toward your sideburns.  For contouring, use blush two shades darker than your natural skin tone and brush it under the apples of your cheeks in the same direction (making a fishy face helps).  Then, without adding more blush to the brushes, blend both shades.  Just don’t overdo it with the contour.  Think “sculpted” not “bruised.”

[pagebreak]

Fresh Fragrances

Spring brought with it, a multitude of new fragrances by top brands.  Who wouldn’t want to take advantage of the aromatherapy?

For the Athlete:  Big Pony Women’s Collection Coffret

For the Free Spirit:  Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh

For the No-Nonsense Gal: Michael Kors Suede

For the Eccentric:  Escada Rockin Rio 

Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber
Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!