This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Live music, youth empowerment and a business co-ran by a badass woman? Sounds like a Her Campus dream event, am I right?

On Aug. 1 from noon-8 p.m. at the Lansing Center, (River Street Pub, North Point Cafe and River Front Gazebo), a third annual event, Roll The Vote, will be the place to be. This event will be bringing a full day of networking, education, trade show vending and music to Michigan’s capital city. Roll the Vote hosts impactful, positive organizations in Michigan with hopes of influencing and inspiring young people.

It is so crucial that my generation (possibly our generation, depending on who is reading this) of young people become educated and knowledgeable on important modern political and social issues so we can be a merciless force to be reckoned with. I know how tired I am of hearing older people tell me that our generation is lazy, careless, yadda yadda yadda. That is a far cry from the truth, which many young people are already doubtlessly aware of. Without being knowledgeable on crucial political topics, for example, young people aren’t educated enough to know who is the most appropriate candidate to vote for in an election. We have a voice, and we need it to be heard. With events like Roll The Vote, we have opportunities to make our voices stronger.

There will be various conference panels at Roll The Vote, from music empowerment to an impactful student panel (with our very own Her Campus-MSU Editor-in-Chief speaking for us). Other panels will cover business in cannabis and political issues for the upcoming election. In a nutshell, almost every interesting topic, debatable or informational, will be spoken on at Roll The Vote.

Even more crucial to note: This event is free! Come get educated, listen to some tunes and hear things you’ve never heard before.

This event is sponsored by Think Live Music, a local family and veteran owned production company based in Lansing, Mich. Their specialities are sound and lighting, and they produce all kinds of events ranging from reunions, festivals, birthdays, concerts, meetings — you name it. Their most recent kickoffs to the summer have been Dirtfest in Birch Run, as well as Pre-High Times Cannabis Cup Parties in Flint.

On to another Her Campus favorite: women in charge. Courtney Highfield of Think Live Music represents the epitome of a powerful woman. Inspired by both her love for the entertainment industry and her father at 16, she dropped out of school, received her GED and driver’s license, completed one year of college and then enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves. Her experience in the army shaped her into the strong woman she is today, taught her how to manage pressure and stress as well as how to build as a team, and infinitely changed her for the better, Highfield said. She has since learned and bettered her knowledge of production, live sound, audio recording, lighting, video and more; she is always eager to learn more about this industry.

Courtney is still accepting new vendors and speakers for Roll The Vote, so if you want to be a part of this event, it’s not too late to contact her!

Let’s stick it to everyone who claims that the youth of today are narcissistic and lazy because we know that’s not true. Let’s get educated and empower ourselves — starting at Roll the Vote presented by Think Live Music on Aug. 1.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian