Museums, Wine, and Zombies: Unusual Courses at MSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Every spring, each college student faces the same problem: class scheduling.  From failing to get a spot in French 101 to wanting to cry because you have an 8:30 a.m. class every morning of the week, it can be a bit stressful.  And what about those of you who have no idea what classes to take?  You have those final three credits to fill and it’s looking like either an art history course or one labeled ‘Plant Biology.’  And let’s just say, neither is your forte.

Let me ask you a question: have you ever looked through the entirety of our friend the Schedule Builder?  No?  Well, I would be lying to you to say I have.  However, I did do some digging and came up with five unusual classes you may not have heard of and may never had thought could exist.  One might just fit in to that messy schedule of yours!

1)  HA 485 Foundations of Museum Studies: Ok, so the name may not be catchy, but the concept is interesting.  In this course, you look at the “activities, functions, and organizations of museums,” as described in the class description.  You also take a more in-depth look at how museums play a continually changing role in our culture, having to stay up-to-date in both information and eye-catching qualities.  The only prerequisite is that you have to be at least a junior to take this class.  A bonus?  It is offered during the summer as well as the fall.  So, if you are holding down the fort here at MSU May through August, take a look into this class as an elective.

2)HRT 430 Exploring Wines and Vines: No, I am not kidding, and yes, this name means exactly what you are hoping it does.  Offered only in the fall, and with the sole stipulation being you have to be 21, this course is definitely a refreshing idea.  Study the history of wine through the eyes of a consumer, as well as looking at how economy, culture, and climate affect aspects of the wine market and production.  Plus, you’ll have a “sensory evaluation” and will look at the wine’s “relationship to food pairings,” as stated by the course’s description.  What is the best reason for taking this course?  Oh, that’s simple: there is a required field trip, and I can only imagine where..

3)KIN 103 G Power Walking:What is better than regular walking?  Power walking!  With no prerequisites and a pass/fail grading system, what better way to add a credit to your schedule and it will ensure you’ll work out at least twice a week.  Offered in both the fall and spring, you can take the course one semester or two.  Not only do you walk, but you also get tips on how to by physically fit and how to live a healthier life.  Maybe, you might even decide to go into professional walking after this experience.

4)SW 290 Section 731 Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse:Catastrophes and Human Behavior: Some of you may be going, “Is this legit?”  In fact, it is.  During the summer, this is an online course simulating a catastrophic event, in this case a zombie pandemic.  Students are put into groups and then have to try to survive an apocalypse of zombies.  However, this is not all fun and games.  The course strives to look at how humans react and behave in times of catastrophe, both through the students’ reactions and through the history of catastrophic events.  If you are looking for something out of the box, a way to test out your survival skills, and an outlet for your hatred of zombies, I would recommend looking this course up.  You may just gain some skills that could be useful in the near future.

5)UP 418 The Ghetto: Not open to freshmen or sophomores, this class is only offered in the fall.  However, if you are like me, the name caught my eye.  This course takes an in-depth look into what is known as the ghetto, with an emphasis on U.S. cities, analyzing the ghetto’s spatial structure and organization.  Also, it studies the population distribution from racial and ethnic viewpoints, providing information you would never have known before.  Sound interesting?  Go ahead and sign on up!

Trust me, there are a lot crazier courses out there that you and I have yet to encounter.  Thankfully, we are blessed here at Michigan State to have a plethora of classes to choose from.  However, before you pick, I recommend digging around and seeing what you come up with.  And maybe, just maybe, you’ll find a course in which you can fight zombies during the week and go wine touring on the weekends.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!