MSU’s Systematic Failure With Nassar’s Abuse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Recently, hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Larry Nassar for the sexual abuse of athletes under the pretense of medical treatment. Over 140 women, thus far, have accused Nassar of sexual assault since September 2016 when public allegations were first made. Nassar was working with USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University, both of which have been accused of negligence in the case.

McKayla Maroney was just one of Nassar’s victims and has filed a lawsuit against Nassar, MSU and USA Gymnastics, accusing USA Gymnastics of concealing the abuse by making her sign a $1.25 million non-disclosure agreement.

For the women who attend MSU, this plants fear in our hearts. It is frightening to know that the president of our school, along with athletic trainers, assistant coaches, and even a university police detective, were informed of the issue and acted negligently upon it. For female athletes, it is even more terrifying.

For many college athletes, the sport they play brings them utter passion and joy, as it should. They should not feel uncomfortable in a place that should feel like home and they should be protected against any form of assault.

This experience proved where MSU’s priorities lie between their reputation and the safety of their students. It is easy now for Lou Anna K. Simon, president of MSU, to refer to Nassar as “a horrific person who did horrific things,” but where was this energy when her staff first came to know about the allegations?

Accountability needs to be taken for the failure of MSU staff to protect its students and athletes because if not now, when? After another woman has to experience something of the matter? Enough lives have been traumatized and it is time to put an end to this kind of careless behavior in all schools, beginning with Michigan State.

Every 98 seconds, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted. Every eight minutes, that victim is a child. And only six out of every 1,000 perpetrators face prison time. People ages 12-34 face the highest risk of rape and sexual assault. 33 percent of women who are raped contemplate suicide and 13 percent actually attempt it.

These are real lives, real experiences, and real horrors. Preventive measures must be taken to ensure this does not continue to happen on any college campus or any grounds in general. And it starts with those in power; when given it, use it wisely for the common good.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-422-445

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.