This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Expectation:

Meeting a ton of new friends in your classes and hanging out together all the time.

Reality:

Getting through an entire week of classes and the closest you came to a real conversation was when you were yelled at by the Wells Hall preacher.

Expectation:

Meeting the love of your life and kissing them in the shadow of the Beaumont Tower.

Reality:

Meeting a bunch of squirrels and feeding them in the shadow of the Beaumont Tower.

Expectation:

Enjoying all of your classes and being happy to do your homework because you’re studying a subject you love.

Reality:

You haven’t been to class in so long you forgot what your professor looks like, and the thought of pausing Netflix to do even a small assignment seems like an impossible feat.

Expectation:

Successfully surviving  despite living well below the means of living.

Reality:

Living in constant fear of the MSU Federal Credit Union coming to repossess every item you own.

Expectation:

Getting up early, going to tailgates, and getting lit before football games.

Reality:

On the few occasions you get up on time to tailgate, you’re way too tired for the actual game.

Expectation:

Dressing up, going out and making crazy memories every weekend.

Reality:

Spending the entire weekend binging Netflix and only brushing your hair to get your pizza from the delivery guy.

Expectation:

Studying at posh coffeehouses and atmospheric libraries.

Reality:

Sitting in your poorly-lit bedroom the night before an exam and feeling the animalistic need to howl like a wolf at midnight because it’s the only reprieve available from the stress of finals.

Expectation:

Downloading Tinder and expecting to see a ton of hotties now that you’re away from your small hometown.

Reality:

Taking one look at the available singles on Tinder, closing the app, going straight to the pet shop, and buying your first cat.

Expectation:

Thinking you’ll have time to do tons of clubs and extracurriculars.

Reality:

Lol, you thought.

Caffeine lover. Animal activist. New York City dreams.
My name is Rachel Cichon, I am a freshman majoring in political science at Michigan State University. If you've watched Parks and Recreation and know the character Leslie Knope, you essentially know me. I'm passionate about historical fiction,
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.