Member Spotlight: Rachel Brauer ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Rachel Brauer

Year: Junior

Major: Arts and Humanities (RCAH)

Hometown: Howell, Michigan

What made you decide to come to MSU? Originally, I wanted to come to MSU because of their journalism program, with it being one of the most prestigious in the country. There is also a rich Spartan heritage in my family — my dad and grandpas on both sides of my family were proud Spartans.  

Where is your favorite spot on MSU’s campus? I love North Neighborhood — all of the buildings are very Hogwarts-esque. Recently, I’ve been into Wells Hall because of the lively squirrel and duck population that resides there.

Which MSU cafeteria is the best? The Gallery! I do have a bias, though, because I am an RCAH student.

When did you join Her Campus at MSU? I joined Her Campus my second semester of freshman year.

What is your favorite thing about HC MSU? Definitely how supportive all of the girls are! It feels like a second family. They’ve seen me through some of the darkest periods of my life, and for that, I’m eternally grateful. We all treat each other with kindness and hospitality.

What is your role within HC MSU, and what do you do? I am the Logistics Director, which basically equates to HC’s secretary. I keep an excel spreadsheet, and track our member requirements to ensure everyone is actively participating. I also design and send out our weekly newsletter with our latest stories on it.

If you could be any animal for the day, what animal would you be? I would definitely be one of my cats. They’re beyond spoiled, and I would appreciate a whole day to do nothing but sleep and eat.

If you could trade places with someone for the day, who would you trade places with? The 14th Dalai Lama. I have a deep respect for his wisdom and embodiment of mindfulness. I’ve always said I would do anything to have one hour of the man’s time, even if I didn’t get to say a single word. I don’t have all the answers, and I’m not going to pretend I do, but I feel like he’s achieved the inner peace I’ve only dreamed of. I would love the opportunity to explore his mind for a day.

“World peace can only be based on inner peace. If we ask what destroys our inner peace, it’s not weapons and external threats, but our inner flaws like anger. This is one of the reasons why love and compassion are important, because they strengthen us. This is a source of hope.”

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian