This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Maya Parnell

Major: Advertising

Specialization: Sales & Communication

Year: Sophomore

Sophomore Maya Parnell didn’t expect her acceptance to Teen Vogue’s fashion university program for spring break. The well-known 3-day program is where education of the business of fashion is taught by the big names – Jessica Simpson, Zac Posen, Rebecca Minkoff and many more. This program is offered annually to students who are interested in the 3 disciplines given by Teen Vogue: PR and social media, textile & design and business & fashion.

Approximately 3,000 female applicants from the ages 18-24 applied this year. They have a lot of professionals come in to give tips and explain how the fashion industry works as well as provide networking opportunities.

“They were really nice. The program allowed me to have one-on-one time with the professional for the area of my field – which was business and fashion. It also allowed me to network with all the other girls from different places in the USA,” said Maya.

I asked Maya what made her apply for this program and she replied that she did not even know about this program until she met Evann Webb and Amber Lewis – MSU seniors who went for the Retail Connect trip held last semester in New York City by the College of Communication Arts and Sciences.

“They suggested that I apply for the Teen Vogue fashion university program as they were too. And I applied last minute! It was due 12:00 am and I was still sorting out my photo requirements at 12:05!”

However, luck was on Maya’s side as the next day, she got accepted.

“It was crazy! I wasn’t expecting it at all and I mean, 3000 girls applied for this! It was just extremely lucky.”

A few months later, Maya was boarding her plane departing to New York City on the Friday of Spring break. And the first thing Maya had to do as part of a student of the program was to attend a party that night held at the Express store in Times Square.

“It was like a little soiree. All these well known people and staff at Teen Vogue welcomed us, and it was just unbelievable”.

The next day was the longest day.

“We had to be up by 7:30 am and walked straight to the World Trade Center because that’s where the classes were held and our hotel was right across it.” Depending on what discipline the students’ chose determined the classes they had to be present at. Maya was in the business & fashion discipline.

“I got to meet people who worked for Oscar De La Renta and Teen Vogue’s style feature director – Andrew Bevan.”

It was fashion all day long for Maya, and she loved every bit of it.

The next day was the commencement ceremony. Essentially, the students graduate from their classes. Several of the heads of Teen Vogue expressed their appreciation to the students.

“A lot of pictures were taken, and I got a bunch of free stuff like jackets, perfumes and bags!”

Lastly, Maya illustrated how much she loved the experience.

“I got connections and figured that this is what I want to do in my life. I got to know the fashion industry in a more in-depth manner and literally, it was like something out of art.”

Being around people between the ages 16-22 exposed her to different types of people.

“You would see a girl wearing head to toe in pink and purple, wearing splashing colors covering their outfits, it was awesome!”

She continues to say that yes, the competitive atmosphere was present, but she thought that one day she might work with one of these girls and they might work with her.

“Its crazy to spend that much time with like minded people. Overwhelming exhilaration went through me.”

We can only imagine Maya. 

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian