Maggie Morgan ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Maggie Morgan

Year: Sophomore

Major: Professional writing and English with a concentration in creative writing

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

What are your ideal career plans post-graduation? My first goal is to be accepted to The Writer’s Workshop at the University of Iowa! The two-year residency program culminates in the submission of a novel and the awarding of a Masters of Fine Arts degree. From there, I’d love to work as a music journalist and write for Rolling Stone while using my free time to write novels and make music!

Without using school, extracurriculars or accomplishments, how would you describe yourself to others? I would say that I am creative, determined, passionate, adventurous and empathetic. I’m a music lover, a dream chaser and people person.

Most important thing you’ve learned about college so far? The most important thing I’ve learned about college so far is that everything happens for a reason, and you just have to embrace it. Whether it’s realizing that your initial choice for a major isn’t quite what you had in mind or you work your hardest and still don’t get the result you want, you have to roll with the punches and remember that the right thing is going to happen.

What else are you involved in on campus? I am a member of the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, I’m a very vocal member of all of MSU’s student sections and I’m a store manager at Sparty’s!

Career plans aside, what is your ultimate life goal? I want to spend my life doing what I love with the people I love. I want to wake up every day excited for a new adventure.

Who (or what) is your spirit animal? My spirit animal is a river otter! They’re playful, sweet and adorable!

What kind of genre is your favorite to write and why? I like to write fiction and poetry in the form of song lyrics.

Do you have any authors in particular that you model your work after or admire? John Green is one of my inspirations when it comes to writing fiction. I always get lost in his stories! As for lyric writing, John Lennon is my biggest influence.

Caffeine lover. Animal activist. New York City dreams.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian