Kaylee Zajac ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Going Green

In today’s world, most of us cannot go a day without seeing an environmental problem. Most people simply shrug it off, believing they could never truly make a difference. Sophomore Kaylee Zajac is not one of those people. In the past year, Kaylee has been an active member in the RISE program and co-founded the Sierra Club at MSU. She works to make a difference in both the environment and MSU’s campus.

Name: Kaylee Zajac

Age: 19-years-old

Major/Minor: Economics and Supply Chain Management

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Rochester, MI

What is the RISE program? RISE is the Residential Initiative on the Study of the Environment and is basically a cohort, not a club, of people who share an interest in sustainability and the environment. It’s a living, learning community with individuals of all different majors and backgrounds that can come together and focus on environmental studies.

Have you always been conscious of the environment? In high school, no. I’ve always been interested in the environment, and clean energy was always something I thought I would definitely do as a career when I was growing up. But it wasn’t until I realized there’s a lot more to it than just alternative energy uses, like clean water and air. College really opened my eyes to that and made me more aware of the effect humans have on the Earth and its environment.

What is the Sierra Club? The Sierra Club is an environmental group that combines activism and enjoyment of nature.

What made you want to bring the Sierra Club to MSU? The Sierra Club is one of the most internationally respected environmental groups. I think our generation is very forward-thinking in terms of clean energy and being green, so bringing the Sierra Club to a campus like MSU that’s so into sustainability is really important. This way, people our age can make a difference and enjoy nature at the same time.

What’s your biggest goal for the Sierra Club? Since our club is brand new to campus, I think our biggest goal is to give it a name and have people respect us. We want others to think we can actually make a difference here at MSU. The Sierra Club can provide an outlet for those who really want to connect with the Earth and nature, who may have not had the chance to do so before.

What’s been the most fun thing about being in Sierra Club, and why should more people join? I think the most fun thing about it is that there’s a balance between service and more fun activities. We go out and talk to senators and do work for the environment, but at the same time we have trips where we can go hiking and camping and things like that. This way you can meet people who are just as like-minded and passionate as you and make relationships based upon that. If people are looking for a way to connect with others, it’s definitely a great club to do that.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian