This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Kayla Starr

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical engineering

Hometown: Cheyenne, Wyoming

What do you love most about your major?

What I love most is that my major has taught me to solve problems and think critically. It doesn’t only help with math and science but I have learned how to see both side of an argument and how to try different approaches myself before giving up and asking others.

What is your favorite thing about MSU?

I love the people here, as generic as that sounds. Everyone is so nice and welcoming and willing to help you out if you ask. A school spirit that makes campus feel like home to me now.

What was it like moving from Wyoming to Michigan? What is the biggest difference?

It was really scary. I was moving very far away from home and I knew no one where I was going and I was worried if I would fail on my own. The biggest difference would have to be the cities. I don’t understand suburbs at all. If there isn’t miles of plains between your city and the next city, it’s the same city.

What kind of activities are you involved in?

I am a member of “Engineers Without Borders” helping out with a project to put in a rain collection system for a school in Tanzania. I am also a campus tour guide so I get to help high school students decide if MSU should be their home too. I am also a teaching assistant for EGR 102, an intro to engineering course.

How is being a teaching assistant?

I love being a TA because it’svery fulfilling. I love helping students solve their own problems and realize they know more about the material than they think they do, solving the problems they present me and helping them succeed.

What did you think about your study abroad experience? What is the best thing you got out of it?

I loved my study abroad experience! It was not only amazing to go to Italy and see many places I never would have gotten to normally, it was also a great growing experience and challenge finding out how to get around over there and communicate. The thing I enjoyed the most was the ability to dedicate time to my art which is something I never have time to do when I am back in the real world.

What will you be doing after graduation?

I will be moving to Southern California to work with Amazon. I will be an area manager so I will be in charge of a specific section within the distribution center. I am excited to work with people, improve myself and enjoy the weather.

As a senior, what advice would you give to freshmen?

Talk to the people in your classes. I know it’s scary at first and everyone sits by themselves normally and doesn’t feel like talking. But if you are there early sit next to someone and say hi, they can help you study and take notes and commiserate with you and can be really good friends.

If you could have dinner with any person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I would have dinner with William Shakespeare because there is a conspiracy theory that it’s just a ghost writer and the real William Shakespeare was another guy and I want to clear that up. And 2. I want to ask him what he thinks about the fact we study his plays full of sex jokes as classic high quality literature.

What were you for Halloween?

I was a steampunk chick. I bought a corset, skirt, goggles and everything.

Do you think you would survive in a horror movie or zombie apocalypse? Why or why not?

I wanna say yes to the zombies, but probably not. I’m out of shape, a picky eater, and without Netflix I may not have that much will to live. As for horror I might have a chance. I think I’m fairly smart and too lazy to try and go into any locked rooms.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.