Izzy Wroblewski ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Isabelle (Izzy) Wroblewski

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Berkley, Michigan 

Major: Biomedical Lab Science with a minor in Women and Gender Studies and a specialization in LBGTQ and Sexuality 

How long have you been dancing? I have been dancing since I was two. 

Which types of dance do you do? I have had a heavy focus on ballet my entire life, but I have also extensively studied Modern, Contemporary, Lyrical, Jazz, Hip-hop, and Tap.

What about dance do you like the most? I love the way dance gives you an amazing way to express your emotions through body movements and can help clear your mind. I also love being able to convey emotions to an audience as well as working with others to create an inspiring image. 

How are you involved with dance at MSU? I am currently part of Orchesis, a Modern and Contemporary Company on campus. As a company member, I am performing in our show Fractals: Infinite Patterns. I am also part of a Theatrical dance group called Cries for Freedom. We put on shows every year to spread awareness and raise money to stop Human Trafficking. 

Could you tell me a little bit about Fractals: Infinite Patterns? Fractals: Infinite Patterns is a composition of 9 student-choreographed pieces with the reoccurring themes of nature, space and impact. This show is performed by a company of around 40 amazing dancers who are passionate about dance as an art form. Each piece practices 3-4 hours a week perfecting the motion and developing the story to be told. 

Time(s)/Date/Location/Ticket Info? Fractals: Infinite Patterns will be held in the Arena Theatre, which is in the basement of the auditorium building. Tickets are $5 for Students and $8 for adults and will be sold the hour leading up to the show. 

Dates: 
  • Thursday February 12, 8:00 p.m.
  • Friday February 13, 7:00 p.m. 
  • Saturday February 14, 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. 
  • Sunday February 15, 2:00 p.m. 

What does the name, “Fractals: Infinite Patterns,” represent? This name represents a lot. Fractals are repeating patterns all around us. They are extremely complex and beautiful. From the way trees grow to hurricanes, beautiful chaos surrounds each individual in stunning patterns. This relates so closely to dance in the way that you move your body and the connections we can make through simple and very detailed use of space and motion. We hope to make a connection with the audience and tell stories through small patterns to create a magnificent picture and a lasting footprint. 

What is your role in Fractals: Infinite Patterns? I am performing in two pieces in the show. Each piece has a very different theme, one is about how the people around you can shape your life, while the other piece is about the things that go bump in the night.   

How did you earn that role? I earned my role through an audition process. Before the auditions, the company selects choreographers. Then dancer auditions are held and the choreographers’ handpick which performers they think will fit best into their pieces. I was lucky enough to be picked by two amazing choreographers who have helped me grow as a person and as a dancer.  

What do you think with be the strongest performance component of Fractals: Infinite Patterns? I feel that the way the dancers are able to convey emotion and interact with the audience will be extremely powerful. There are also pieces using different types of media like chalk, paint, and rhythm sticks to tell a story. 

What are you most excited for audiences to see or experience at the show? I feel that the audience will be so enthralled by the space we are performing in. The arena theatre is unique in the way that the audience sits on all 4 sides of the stage so the dancers can bee seen at every angle and any given time. 

What else can you tell me about MSU Orchesis Dance? Besides being a Company, Orchesis also offers dance classes each semester to anyone at any level. Any person can come and pay a very low fee to be taught by trained dance teachers in nearly every type of dance. It is a great opportunity to get your body moving and find a new way to express yourself or continue a lifelong passion. Orchesis is not just a company and student organization, but it is also a family of people who love to create art and express themselves. I really don’t know what I would do without all these amazing dancers who support one another in every aspect of their lives.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian 
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber