jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Know If Your Relationship Is Toxic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Do you find yourself questioning your relationship more often than you’re affirming your relationship? Know your worth, and trust your gut. If you feel like you deserve better, chances are, you probably do. Don’t ever settle for less because your partner is only one pebble on the whole beach. Here are six ways to know that your relationship might be growing toxic:

1. When the negatives begin to outweigh the positives

Although the saying, ‘bad times make the good ones better,’ often ring true, in relationships, it does not. If your significant other upsets you more than he or she makes you happy, this is undoubtedly a red flag. At the end of the day, you are the one left standing. Ultimately, your happiness and well-being should be the priority.

2. If they do nothing, but expect everything in return

Every relationship is like a wave – a gentle push and pull, a give and take. You shouldn’t be the only one pushing, whether it’s making plans, texting first or simply checking-in on the other.

3. They don’t make you a priority

Obviously in any romantic relationship, you shouldn’t let go of your social circle. However, you need to ensure that your significant other is prioritizing you. Run fast and far in the other direction if they belittle your own wants and needs in comparison to their own or if they always put their friends first.

4. Empty promises

They are constantly making excuses for their behavior or have difficulty holding up their end of the relationship. If someone wants to be with you, they will always find a way to try. Period. No excuses. You’re never too busy for the ones you care about.

5. They don’t validate your feelings

This is HUGE. If they don’t seem to notice or care about your feelings, then chances are, they probably don’t. We should not have to shelter our feelings with anyone, let alone someone whom we spend a majority of our time with.

6. If you are the only one to ever say sorry

“Is it too late now to say sorry?” Yes. If your significant other has never apologized for anything and always put you to blame, it is time to leave this relationship. You are not responsible for everything that happens in life. It takes two to tango.   

A cheetah does not change its spots, meaning you cannot change a person. This decision has to be internal. Don’t hold out hope that this person will change because only they can make that decision. You’ll only be wasting more time that you could spend being happy with someone else.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian