element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holiday Dress Code 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With the holiday season comes endless festivities, parties and celebrations. One of the most challenging aspects of all of this is deciding what to wear for each type of event. Usually, every event has a preferred dress code, and below are some ideas for each type of holiday event.

Casual Chic

When celebrating the holidays at home and spending time with family and friends that you might not see that often, you typically want to look nice. But you also don’t want to overdress, and you want to be comfortable. Jeans, although usually worn in a very casual way, can be so easy to dress up and give you that casual chic look that is both comfortable and stylish. Add a blazer, heels and some statement jewelry, and you have the perfect casual chic holiday look!

Red cape blazer, BCBGMaxAzria, $298. Medium wash skinny jeans, American Eagle, $30. Plaid pointed ballet flats, J.Crew, $168. Bracelet and statement earrings, J.Crew. “Ruby Woo” lipstick, MAC, $16.

Semi-Formal

Around the holidays, there are always those dressy work parties, formal events on campus, etc. When it comes to semi-formal attire, cocktail dresses or fancy midi-skirts are going to be your go-to. And accessorizing is a must! This includes elegant clutches, statement jewelry and show-stopping heels.

Blouse with bow, Mango. Burgundy midi-skirt with bow, ASOS.com, $108. Black pointed heels, Zara, $50. “Hepburn” velvet crossbody bag, Bebe, $69. Statement earrings, J.Crew.

Black Tie

For those glamorous holiday galas, the dress code is almost always black tie. Typically, black tie means gowns, but a fancy maxi-skirt can always be accessorized to be just as elegant. Add heels, faux fur, metallic accents and the right jewelry, and you will be the “belle of the ball.”

One shoulder black long sleeve top, Charlotte Russe, $22. Sequin maxi skirt, Cichic.com, $29. Faux fur stole, ASOS.com, $161. Two-tone heels, Zara, $40. Statement earrings, J.Crew, $98. Beaded clutch, ASOS.com, $86. Ring, EXPRESS, $30.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian