HCMSU’s Guide to Staying Warm While You Party This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
  1. Jackets

Having one or two cheap jackets that you only wear to parties is a smart idea, especially if your campus is big and you usually end up walking or waiting around for a cab or bus.  You can wear your everyday winter jacket out, but you won’t look very “party-ready” and you run the risk of it getting ruined, lost, or stolen.  Save the North Face for your walk to class and incorporate one of these jackets into your party wardrobe.

A faux fur jacket like this one from Forever 21 is a bold fashion statement.  It will set you apart from the crowd and keep you super warm and cozy.  Since this one is black, you don’t have to worry about your outfit looking too busy and it will go with everything.
$27.80

[pagebreak]

This boyfriend blazer from ASOS is perfect for rocking a day to night look.  Wear it to class with skinny jeans and a cute tank; then put on some high heels, a statement necklace, and roll up the sleeves to get the party started. 
$99.99

[pagebreak]

If you want to show off your figure the second you step out of the house then opt for a cropped leather jacket.  This bright green one from Forever 21 is an outfit maker.  Usually leather (and even faux leather) jackets are expensive, Forever 21 is a great place to find loads of cheap and stylish jackets.
$37.80

[pagebreak]

1. Lace

With the temperature dropping, it can feel like a drag to have to cover up completely, and that can leave you feeling a bit dowdy.  To spice up your party look, show some skin by wearing lace.  It’s a fantastic way to look sexy in the winter while still looking modest and warm.

A long sleeve dress with a mock turtleneck doesn’t sound too sexy, but add all over lace and a cutout back…it’s a whole other story.  This dress from Victoria’s Secret  looks sleek and classy while still managing to look crazy hot.  If you’re confident enough you could always get away with skipping the tights or leggings since it has long sleeves.
$79.50

[pagebreak]

Most girls stick with mini skirts and tights for winter parties, why not switch it up and wear lace tights like these from Express.  Lace tights can be found anywhere and unlike opaque tights they breathe better so once you get on the dance floor your legs won’t feel like they’re sweating off. 
$16.90

[pagebreak]

Just like the lace dress, a long sleeved lace shirt can look stylish and not overly sexy but just right amount.  Wear with either a camisole or just a bandeau bra underneath, its up to you on how much skin you want to show.  The white color of this one from Victoria’s Secret can be versatile since you could wear any color underneath. 
$39.50

[pagebreak]

1. Shoes

It’s already hard enough deciding what shoes to wear on any given night, throw in possible ice or snow and it can seem almost impossible.  Just like your designated party jacket, you need a pair of shoes that will keep your toes warm and keep your butt from getting covered in snow.

If its not icy or you’re really good at walking in heels then you can consider some heeled booties.  These shearling lined ones from Mod Cloth will be warm and the thick rubber heel ensures you’ll keep your balance. 
$74.99

[pagebreak]

Wedge booties are great for those of us who still want the leg lengthening effect of heels, but aren’t so great at walking in them… especially when there’s ice and snow on the ground.  The studded backs of these black booties from Mod Cloth will give you an instant bad girl look, adding drama to any outfit you wear. 
$92.99

[pagebreak]

Over the knee boots are a great way to lengthen your legs without wearing heels.  These boots from Macy’s have a trendy distressed look and the buckle accents add stylish detail.   And lucky for us, they’re on sale right now!
$69.30

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!