HCMSU’s Guide to The Hunger Games!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The Hunger Games fever has spiked this week more than ever as fans everywhere anticipate the arrival of the very first movie in the acclaimed and loved Hunger Games Trilogy by author Suzanne Collins.  The books, first released in 2008, take readers into a post-apocalyptic America, where the annual Hunger Games are played.  But from the looks of the movie trailer, the word “played” shouldn’t be used too lightly.  If the games were intense in the book, the film version most certainly brings to life the journey of survival that each of the participants is on.  In order to avenge a conflict that happened long ago, the corrupt governing forces of the post-apocalyptic Panem, order two teenagers from each of its twelve districts to take part in the games.  But here’s the kicker—only one of them makes it out alive.  The story centers on the plight of fearless heroine Katniss Everdeen as she competes for her life.  An early review from The Hollywood Reporter calls The Hunger Games a “faithful adaptation” of the book.  The movie opens Tonight (or technically tomorrow) at Midnight.  Now if you haven’t already bought them, go buy your tickets!

Now, here’s a who’s who on the main characters of the movie…

Katniss Everdeen
played by Jennifer Lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence plays main character Katniss Everdeen.  When her younger sister’s name is picked from the lottery to participate in the Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place.  Lawrence expertly portrays a strong-willed protective young woman who is determined to win the Hunger Games so she can return home to her family.  Jennifer Lawrence burst onto the acting scene in 2010, when she was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her role in Winter’s Bone.  As one of the youngest women to ever be nominated, Lawrence has true star potential, a fact amplified by what critics are calling her “compelling” performance in The Hunger Games movie.  

Peeta Mellark
played by Josh Hutcherson

Josh Hutcherson plays District 12 Hunger Games tribute and swoon-worthy heartthrob, Peeta Mellark.  Peeta, the son of a baker, is chosen as Katniss’s male counterpart in the Games.  Peeta proposes an alliance of sorts with Katniss, in which the two trick the public into believing they are a couple, so as to win their favor.  Unbeknownst to Katniss, Peeta actually does love her.  He would do anything, including sacrifice himself, for Katniss to win the Games.  Team Peeta!  In real life, Hutcherson has acted in such movies as Bridge to Terabithia, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, before taking on the more mature role of Peeta Mellark.

Gale Hawthorne
played by Liam Hemsworth 

Australian actor and hottie (let’s be honest here) Liam Hemsworth plays the role Gale Hawthorne.  Gale is Katniss’s best, and only, friend.  He despises the Capitol and everything to do with it and has grandiose dreams of starting another revolution.  Liam Hemsworth might be best known for being a certain Miley Cyrus’s boyfriend, but he has acted in a number of films and television shows.  Most notably, alongside Cyrus in The Last Song.  Hemsworth’s brother Chris is also in the acting business and the two often compete for jobs.  Recently, Liam lost out to Chris in a competition for the lead role in Thor.  

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!