Hannah MacDonald ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Hannah MacDonald

Major/Minor: Environmental Geosciences and double minor in Marine Ecosystem Management and Environmental Studies and Sustainability

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Alpena, Michigan

What is the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary? The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary is one of the 14 National Marine Sanctuaries in the United States. The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary is located in Lake Huron off the shore of Alpena, Michigan. Thunder Bay is one of the most treacherous areas of stretches of water in the Great Lakes which leads to many shipwrecks. The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary protects hundreds of shipwrecks that lie on the bottom. Along with protection, the sanctuary constructs research and promotes education and outreach. This makes the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary have fascinating maritime heritage and makes it a very special place.

Have you always been conscious of the Great Lakes? I have always been conscious of the Great Lakes. Growing up in Alpena, Michigan I have always loved swimming, sailing and scuba diving. I have always appreciated what the Great Lakes have to offer and what a valuable resource they are to us. It is very important to manage the health of the Great Lakes.

You spent time in the Bahamas this summer. Could you tell us more about what you were doing there? This summer I was a Sea Turtle Research Intern at the Cape Eleuthera Institute in the Bahamas. I worked on a team with other college students from all over the world collecting data on sea turtle foraging grounds. A typical day consisted of swimming after turtles to catch them and measure them. We also set baited underwater cameras to attract predators to see how they affect turtles’ behavior.

Are you involved in any clubs or organizations on campus that focus on the environment? I am involved with the Spartan Sierra Club. Spartan Sierra Club works to enjoy, explore and protect our planet by engaging in our campus and current environmental issues.

What’s been the most fun thing about being a volunteer for the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary? As a volunteer at the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, I have had the opportunity to get involved in my community and learn so much about the environment. One of the most fun volunteer jobs is being a narrator on the Glass Bottom Boat and getting to see shipwrecks and educate the visitors about them. I also have had the rewarding opportunity of teaching students on field trips about the Great Lakes. But the greatest opportunity that being a volunteer has given me is the opportunity to travel to Washington D.C. for National Marine Sanctuaries: Capitol Hill Ocean Week. I was able to speak on two panels The Wave of the Future: What Do the Youth of America Think? and Commanders of the Sea: Women Leading the Way in Ocean Stewardship. While here I was able to meet leaders in marine conservation and research such as Dr. Sylvia Earle.

If you could tell people something they could do to protect our lakes and oceans, what would you tell them? I believe that the biggest problem facing our lakes and oceans is greed. To make a difference, people will need to stop making selfish decisions and start thinking about the consequences that their action will have on the environment. To protect these special places and valuable resources, steps to reduce carbon emissions need to made. A simple step that could be made is to reduce the amount of single use plastics that are used. Plastic breaks down into microplastics that make their way into our waters and become a toxin to fish and the environment.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian