This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Felicia Grigsby

Major: Communications

Year: Junior

Hometown: Fruitport, MI

Why did you choose MSU? I loved the idea of going to Michigan State since I was younger. As I started to take going to college more seriously, I fell in love with everything about Michigan State, from its campus, to academics and everything in between. MSU was the only school I applied to, so when I got in, I couldn’t have been happier.

What is your favorite thing about MSU? The pride. People are so proud to say they go, went or are fans of Michigan State, and I love it. Anywhere you go, you can find a Spartan, and it’s my favorite thing!

What is your favorite sport at MSU? Basketball and football are tied as my favorite sports here at MSU, but men’s basketball is more fast paced and exhilarating, so I’ll have to choose basketball.  

Who is your favorite player on MSU’s basketball team? That’s such a hard question! Deyonta Davis is a freshman this year and he’s also from my hometown, so although he’s new to the team, he’s great! Bryn Forbes is a close second.

How did you become a section leader for the Izzone? It’s actually a pretty lengthy process. You have to turn in an application and write an essay, go through an interview, and commit to attend all the games. I was chosen to become a section leader and was so pumped. I also work as an intern with the Alumni Association, and although it had no effect on my chances of being chosen, the Izzone is a program we run, so I heard about it, and it looked like so much fun!

What is the best part about being a section leader? Myself and the other section leaders are expected to lead the section by pumping up the crowd, starting the chants and leading by example. For senior year personalities (high school), I was voted most spirited, and that definitely hasn’t changed coming to college. I represent the best student section in the nation and have such a fun time doing it!

What is your favorite chant/cheer that you do in the Izzone? Free throw distractions are the most fun. Section leaders will hold up different color posters to the rest of the Izzone, and the section of students behind the opposing team’s basket will do the distraction assigned to that color poster while the other team shoots a free throw. We have a handful of distractions, from the roller coaster to ‘single man,’ where we have one person behind the basket do something hilariously absurd while everyone else is silent, and a few others. They’re all so much fun!

Are you planning on being a section leader next year as well? Yep, that’s the plan! It’ll be my senior year, so what better way to leave the greatest university in the nation than to lead the greatest student section?

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian