A Farewell to Barack Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Eight years are coming to a close, and Barack Obama is about to leave the office of President of the United States. Many people, including myself, are dreading his departure of the White House (for obvious reasons) and are taking the time to recognize his legacy and celebrate his time as president.

He was the first African-American president less than fifty years after the civil rights movement, which is extraordinary. It is sad that he is being succeeded by a man who has been fully supported by the KKK, but with Obama, the country was progressive and moving in the right direction.

Obama receives his share of criticisms, but his accomplishments are numerous, and he deserves much more credit than many give him. During his presidency, the unemployment rate has dropped immensely — from 10 percent to below 5 percent. He ended the war in Iraq, ordered the killing of Osama Bin Laden and repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” so people serving in the military can be themselves. He signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act and dropped the veterans homeless rate by 50 percent. He created a universal healthcare program that has saved thousands of lives. He supported LGBTQ rights and marriage equality was legalized. And that merely scratches the surface on what he’s done for America — If you want to read more about his accomplishments, check out this article.

With Obama as president, we have been introduced to other awe-inspiring people. Michelle Obama was one of the best first ladies we have ever had, handling the position with grace, eloquence and power. She has inspired women and girls everywhere to be themselves and embrace their femininity. Her marriage with Barack is #goals — they’ve had a movie made about them, after all.

Joe Biden was one of the nicest, most caring men we have had as vice president and was very deserving of the Presidential Medal of Freedom Barack gave him.

(Plus, we were #blessed with the Joebama memes.)

Perhaps one of Obama’s best qualities is his sense of humor. He laughs hysterically at his own jokes, loves kids and sings during his speeches. He even did the iconic mic drop and said “Obama out,” after a speech.

So, farewell, Barack Obama. We will miss you dearly as our president — your amazing speeches, progressive values, stellar personality and heart. We hope that your life becomes much less stressful as you pass the baton on to another (much lesser) man. You will truly be one of the most iconic presidents of all time. Thank you for spreading hope into the world.

Yes, we can — and yes, we did.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian