Dylan Marzolino and Erin Zaluzec ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Names: Dylan Marzolino and Erin Zaluzec

Year: Seniors

Spartans vs. Zombies is a non-profit student organization that is MSU’s version of the classic game of tag that is played on college campuses nationwide. It is a week of festivities that include multiple different missions. Annually, the group has 400 players. It’s free to join, you just have to register here!

What is Spartans vs. Zombies?  

Erin: Spartan Zombies, also known as SVZ, is a giant game of tag with nerf guns. The object of the game is to turn as many humans as possible. You start off the week with the day-one mission, and you have original zombies which are called OZs, and they are hidden so they look just like humans.They get to be hidden for the first mission, and their object is to obviously turn everybody. Once you get turned by an OZ, you get tagged. Then, once you get tagged, you wait ten minutes to be turned. Then you get to put away your gun; you no longer need it. Then you wear a bandana on your head.

Can the bandana be any color?  

Erin: It must be either red, yellow or orange.

So far, how has the game been going for you both?

Dylan: Tuesday was a slaughter. I almost just died like five minutes ago, but other than that, I think that it’s going okay.

Have you met a lot of new people from doing this?

Erin: Yeah, and we have a lot of veterans. I’ve been playing for four years. This happens every year. There are a couple of veterans, so we see a lot of familiar faces. Obviously, this is catered towards freshmen and sophomores because it is a game of fun.

Does it go all night?

Erin: It goes all day. It starts at 7 a.m. and ends at midnight. But, the missions occur at certain times, and we all receive an email. So, you sign up, and when you do get turned, you have a code that you have to turn in. So that’s how they know that zombies get turned.

How do you get involved?

Erin: There are posters everywhere, and if you go to our website, it will take you everywhere that you need to go and inform you of everything that you need to do!

Any last thoughts?

Dylan: Everybody should play! And follow us on Facebook!

Good luck surviving, Spartans!

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian