DIY Diaries: How to Make a Springtime Spiral Scarf!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

What better way to celebrate springs early arrival than to make cute spring accessories?  This week we are reinventing the fashionable scarves that were so popular during the fall. 

For this project you will need a t-shirt, in size X-large or XX-large.  I got an XX-large because it was on clearance for two dollars.  You will also need a paper plate, or something else circlular in shape that is 9 inches.  You will need a pencil for marking the circles, and a pair of scissors to cut them out.  Later in the project you will need either fabric glue, or a thread and needle.

[pagebreak]

For this project you will need to make 8-12 circles out of the t-shirt, be sure to pick an even number.  Lay your t-shirt flat and stencil 4 circles on one side, and then 4 on the other.  If you decided to aim for more than 8 circles you may need a larger shirt. 

[pagebreak]

Now that you have penciled a circle onto the shirt, you cut it out.  I cut out squares around the circle to separate it from the shirt.  Once you have the square (with the circle still stenciled on it) cut the circle out.

[pagebreak]

Now that you have the circles cut out we are going to cut them into spirals.  Take an individual circle and starting about 2 inches in, cut in a spiral shape 

[pagebreak]

Personally I preferred the spirals to be a little jagged, but it’s not required.  After you have the spirals cut out, stretch the fabric.  Hold the tail end of the spiral in one hand, and pull on the fabric with the other.  Since we used a t-shirt the fabric is almost always a jersey fabric, which will stretch out and roll on the ends when tugged.  This makes the spiral look more like a frill and lengthen it.

[pagebreak]

After you have stretched the spirals pair them up.  Take one pair of the spirals, and find the end of each.  Once you have the ends of them, lay the ends on top of each other. 

[pagebreak]

You can sew them together, or glue them.  I sewed them, because I did not have any fabric glue on hand.  After you glue, or sew, the ends together you should have 4 (assuming you made 8 circles) long spirals. 

[pagebreak]

This is the end.  You simply wear them together around your neck.  You can fasten them with a flower or favorite brooch.  This spiral scarf is lighter than most scarves’ so it won’t make you warm during the heat but will give you an original look.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!