This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Sometimes it seems as if our generation has forgotten simple gestures that speak volumes. “Hook up culture” isn’t something that all college students take part in. Being treated with respect is something that many girls truly see as the sign of a man worth having. This is an open letter to the boy who opened the door for me. Our meeting was short and sweet. However, your gentlemanly behavior restored my faith in dating culture.

Dear Boy Who Opened the Door For Me: I noticed. I wasn’t arrogant about you performing a simple task. I didn’t walk around the rest of the day with a chip on my shoulder. Instead, I am simply grateful that there are men out there who realize that chivalry isn’t an outdated ideology. It isn’t a concept reserved strictly for our grandmothers and grandfathers. It is a concept that is alive and well, and in order for me to consider a man to be a gentleman, he must be chivalrous. Opening the door for a woman in bitter cold February, when you don’t even know her name is honorable. I want you to know that you are kind. You are full of class and chivalry. If you do not already have a woman who showers you with love and affection you will absolutely find one. You are the kind of man who every girl hopes to find. The kind of man who will walk on the outside of the sidewalk. The kind of man who will offer you his jacket when it is cold out. The kind of man who will tell you that you look nice just because he knows that you spent hours trying to look nice just for him. I want you to know that you are an inspiration. So many boys walk around and act like treating a woman with respect isn’t their problem. They think that they do not have to act like a gentleman. Sure, maybe it is partially a woman’s fault for letting it slide, but you are an inspiration to other guys out there who saw you open the door for me. Maybe, just one of them opened the door for a girl later that day. However, I want you to know that just because you are a gentleman doesn’t mean that I would expect to be showered with flowers and fancy dinner dates. In fact, I would expect the complete opposite. Monetary value doesn’t determine the success of a relationship. Watching Netflix and eating pizza rolls is something that even the classiest of men do. Simply showing me that you cared for the moment is what matters. I want you to know that you made me smile. You didn’t realize how rough of a day I was having and opening the door for me made me feel respected and cared for. Thank you for being so kind, such an inspiration, and an overall man of class. Keep being you.                    

Sincerely, 

The Girl Who Smiled

My name is Shelby, I am an Advertising major pursuing minors in both PR and Graphic Design. I love being around people and experiencing new cultures, ideas, and beliefs. Some of my best memories here at MSU are spent with my best friends. My all time favorite quote is Maya Angelou's "I've learned people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian