This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
Career fairs are a necessary evil in college. One on hand, they’re a great way to get your name out there and prepare you for the job application process. On the other, they can be very stressful and nerve-racking! Don’t sweat it though. Here are the essential tips for your Career Fair Survival Guide.

Prepare!

Visit your school’s career resources website to learn which companies are attending and which ones are hiring your major. Make a list of the ones you’re interested in and research them.

Consult A Mentor

Look for an elder in your major who can show you the ropes. They’ll help you practice your elevator speech, look over your resume and tell you what companies to go after. 

Submit Applications Beforehand

This cannot be stressed enough. Submit your resume to your school’s career services website for the companies you’re interested in and apply on their websites! Many people forget to apply for opportunities through their school’s career website, and that is a huge mistake.  Recruiters look through resumes on these sites after the career fair and contact students for on-campus interviews right away. Don’t skip this step!

Dress to Impress

Dress business-professional, and look up what that means if you need to. Throw on a statement necklace or some bright red lipstick for a little something extra to make yourself stand out. Wear comfortable shoes, because you’ll be standing and walking around for a long time. Also try to avoid bringing a heavy backpack; opt for a tote bag instead!

Perfect Your Elevator Pitch

When you start talking to a recruiter, begin with “Hi, my name is (say your name), I’m a (say your year), majoring in (say your major), and I’m looking for an internship this summer.” Some will tell you to make a 30-second elevator pitch, but you don’t want to make that speech only to find out that they’re not hiring your year or your major. So, start off simple. If they seem interested, continue on with the rest of your speech. 

Perfect Your Elevator Flirt

In addition to the elevator pitch, also prepare an elevator flirt! You’ll be in these lines for a long time, and a lot of people start making small talk. Who knows, you might meet a cute guy! (I went on a date with a guy I met in line at a career fair, so it can definitely happen!)

Revamp Your Resume

Update your resume before you go, and always have a copy out. That way, you can glance down at it if you get stuck while talking to them. Be sure to emphasize any leadership or work experience you’ve had. If you still don’t have a resume, MAKE ONE. Visit your school’s career website or online for a template and resume tips if you need to.

Don’t Be Intimidated!

Recruiters are people too. Try not to look too uncomfortable. Try not to make your speech too forced, just chat with them and try to make it a two-way conversation. 

Ask For An interview!

If you’re having a good conversation with a recruiter, and you’re really interested in a particular position, ask if they’re doing on-campus interviews! They usually are, so that’s a great way to get one scheduled right there. If they’re not, ask about the interviewing process and make sure you submit your resume on their website. Showing this level of interest will definitely put you a step ahead. 

Get Business Cards

Always make sure to grab recruiters’ business cards. That way, even if you don’t get an interview, you can still stay in touch with them and ask for job shadowing opportunities. It’s good to have both a student mentor and a professional mentor. Many recruiters are happy to help out students, so it’s definitely a good idea to stay in touch with companies you’re interested in!
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber