This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Having a twin is weird. You’ve experienced a lot with them. For example: being in the womb together, sharing clothes and advice, fighting like you’re in a “WWE” match, and getting asked a lot of weird questions.

It can be even weirder when you’re a girl and your twin is a boy.

I’m here to answer a few of those questions using my own experience as a twin to bust some of the internet’s biggest twin myths.

Myth: Twins can communicate through ESP, or telepathy.

This is false. I have tried that with my brother and it has never worked. We also put it to the test and tried that thing where you have to think about the same color or food, and most of the time it didn’t work.

Myth: Twins can feel each other’s pain.

This is also false. I’ve played soccer in the backyard with my brother a few times, and I’ve accidentally — and not so accidentally — hit him in the shins, and I didn’t feel any pain. Besides, if we felt each other’s pain, we would not fight as much. Think about it.

Myth: Twins have the same fingerprints.

This is also false. While we do share a lot of common DNA, every human being has a different set of fingerprints.  I have tried to unlock my brother’s phone and I did not succeed.

Myth: Twins have the same interest, hobbies or likes.

This is not true, at least in my case. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a girl and my twin is a boy, but we don’t share a lot of interests.

Believe it or not, I have been asked every single one of these questions. But now you know, don’t believe everything you see on the internet! (Except for this post… this is coming from a very reliable source!)

The best part about being a twin is that once people find out we’re twins, we always get those typical comments that say, “Oh, I see it now,” or “OMG, you guys look so much alike.”

Like, excuse me? I’m going to be honest, my brother and I look nothing alike. Some people say we have the same nose or the same eyes, but I simply just don’t’ see it. Some say we look like siblings we just don’t look like twins. Who knows? But those are always better than the, “OMG are you guys dating?“ comments.

Ew no. Nasty. Gross. Just an FYI, if two people of the opposite sex spend a lot of time together or you see them together a lot, it does not mean they’re dating.

No, but seriously, the best part about having a twin is knowing you have a person that’s going to be there for the rest of your life, even though you fight a lot, but you know deep down you both love each other. (Like deep, deep, deep, deep, down.)

Maria graduated in 2021 with a major in Marketing and a minor in Sports Management. She was born in Barcelona, Spain, and enjoyed writting all types of content, from fun, non-political articles to sports blogs to articles discussing very critical issues. In the future, she hopes to be involved in the business aspect of a sports organization such as the NHL or La Liga.
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.