yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Beating Seasonal Sadness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Summer, for many, was a time of sunshine, immense joy and accomplishment; but as the seasons begin to change, it’s not uncommon for some of us to experience a lack of energy and a decline in overall happiness. Our familiar endless hours of daylight begin to dwindle, and the only place that feels like home is your warm bed awaiting you after a long and tiring day.

Experiencing these negative mood shifts could be more than just a lack of Vitamin D. If around the same time every year you experience irritability, a decrease in energy and lack of motivation to enjoy your life, then you could very well have a common disorder faced by around 3% of the population — Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

This disorder can be a serious disruptance to your everyday life and affect you in multiple different aspects, including how well you perform in school, in your career and in your involvement with other hobbies and clubs. It could also negatively affect your relationships with family and friends, causing you to begin secluding yourself. So, during this fall season, if you feel a little more down than usual, do not worry; SAD is something that happens to people every year.

The best way to improve your overall mood is to just live your life. Enjoy a healthy diet of proteins, whole grains and vegetables. Get active. Join a sports team, attend an exercise class or go for a run. Whatever you do, just get outside, enjoy how ever much sunlight is available and spend time with those who lift your spirits and make you feel good about yourself. Hit up a football game or go out for a night on the town. Is it really even fall if you haven’t been on a hayride or to your local mill for some cider and donuts?

Say goodbye to your blues, and go enjoy all the fun activities and colors that fall has to offer. Fall is a time of rejuvenation and renewal. What better time than now to appreciate all of the season’s beauty?

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian