Baby It’s Cold Outside: Teaching Boys That “No” is an Unacceptable Answer Since 1944

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As we mature, we start recognizing all of the things that went over our heads as children. We missed sexual innuendos inserted into animated movies to entertain our parents, and most all, didn’t observe the many injustices that came with previous decades’ ways of thinking.

Christmas is quickly approaching and the genre of music is making it’s way into every establishment and radio station.

For those who have not heard this common melody, Baby It’s Cold Outside follows one storyline: a woman who is at a man’s house is not permitted to leave. As I’m sure we can all relate to making up a thousand excuses to get out from the coercive grips of some bougie guy at the bar, the song’s Jane Doe draws out every excuse to leave the house. He answers, in one way or another, that she cannot leave due to the outdoor temperature.

Similar to many of my peers, I had listened to this song for years before I finally realized how absurd the lyrics were. I would sing both sides of the melody mindlessly, for the words came to me without having to think.

Is this not reflective of the society that we have evolved into?

Boys not thinking about the words they are saying or actions they are taking upon women. Boys not thinking about the consequences that may, or may not, precede their actions. Boys ultimately not accepting “no” as an answer.

To understand the future, we must look to the past and learn. The duet was originally written and recorded by Frank Loesser for the film, “Neptune’s Daughter,” and women had received suffrage 20 years prior – two decades of what was supposed to be gender equality. Unfortunately, nearly a century later, the fight for equality between men and women still continues today.

Many have explored the lyric, “Say what’s in this drink?” and the possibility of a date rape drug being used – or rape in general. But I think that the outlying problem is the absence of respect he has for the woman that he is clearly interested in.

With the phrase, “rape culture” amongst us today, how is that this universal Christmas song has slipped past our radar?

And as revelations and awareness rises, one couple has decided be proactive and created their consensual rendition of the song.

As trivial as it may seem to dissect the injustices in a popular holiday song, creating awareness for past injustices will help us to better ourselves in the future.

So, boys, before you counter every excuse she makes to leave, remember this: No means no – let her go.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian