9 Reasons to Befriend an International Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

From the beginning of high school, I have had the awesome opportunity to interact with and befriend exchange students from over 10 different countries. My hometown has a great study abroad program, and one of my best friends has hosted three different exchange students. Also, being a student at Michigan State University has given me the chance to interact with international students from all over the world. I am very grateful to have become friends with all of these people, and I feel that I have become a better and more accepting person as a result.

Here are the top nine reasons that you should befriend an international student too:

1. They offer a new perspective.

If you’re like me and you have lived in the United States your entire life, it can be incredibly refreshing to see things from a different perspective. Becoming close to those who grew up in very different situations than yours can help you see your own life in a new way.

2. They can teach you their language.

If you’ve ever been interested in learning a new language, you now have your own personal teacher who will teach you the things that you want to know, not just the things that you are forced to learn in a traditional classroom setting. Who wouldn’t want to learn how to swear in 5 different languages?

3. They can make amazing food that you’ve never tried before.

International students are a great way to taste authentic foods from different countries. Whether it be Chinese dumplings, bread from Sweden or tiramisu from Italy, the dishes are guaranteed to taste completely different from their American counterparts.

4. You now know what to order in ethnic restaurants.

You no longer have to order teriyaki chicken or a quesadilla. Once you make international friends, ordering at ethnic restaurants becomes a breeze. They know exactly what to order you based on your preferences, and you will soon have a new favorite non-american dish.

5. You now have a place to stay if you want to visit their home country.

Traveling just became much more convenient. Instead of dishing out lots money to stay at a hotel, you can stay with your new friend in their home country! This not only cuts down costs, but you also get to experience the day-to-day feel in a new country.

6. You can have an international pen pal.

If you always wanted a pen pal, you’re in luck. Pen pals are a great way to keep in touch outside of social media. Having a pen pal in a different country can be a fun way to stay in contact.

7. Stereotypes are broken down.

Once you are forced to see the real person inside of each individual, you no longer base your judgements on stereotypes. You see every individual for who they are, not just who society tells you they are.

8. You can teach them about America.

Befriending an international student gives you an opportunity to teach them about how great America is. Since there are so many differences between countries, it is awesome to learn about where they came from, while teaching them about America.

9. They simply make great friends.

Through all of my experiences, I have come to realize that international students make the greatest friends. They are knowledgeable, funny, kind and unique. I value all of my international friends, and I urge everyone to reach out to any international students that they come in contact with!

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian