6 Healthy Foods to Eat During Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Winter is coming, and it’s bringing a change in not only climate, but also your bodily needs. We tend to be lazier during winter months, which leads to a decrease in our body’s metabolism. It makes it harder for our bodies to digest food. So how do we take care of ourselves during this crazy weather? Here are six healthy foods to help you stay in the best condition possible during the upcoming colder months.

1. Dark Green Leafy Vegetables

Vegetables are a necessity for the human body, but dark green vegetables like cabbage, kale and brussel sprouts are full of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium. These nutrients reduce the risk of cancer and are high in dietary fibers.

2. Citrus Fruits

You thought these fruits belonged only in summer? Citrus fruits like oranges, limes and grapefruits tend to be the juiciest in winter! They also prevent skin damage from sunlight and are high in calcium, potassium, folic acid and Vitamin A.

3. Peanuts

Rich in protein, peanuts provide Vitamin E, protecting our skin from harmful oxygen-free radicals. Make sure you’re not allergic!

4. Pomegranates

Full of antioxidants (highest compared to other fruits), pomegranate seeds improve blood flow to your heart and are oh-so delicious!

5. Root Vegetables

What do carrots, beets and radishes have in common? They contain high amounts of Vitamins A and C that are important for your immune system and keep your eyes and skin healthy!

6. Chocolate

Just because you’re the best and deserve it! #TreatYoSelf

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian